Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of yall know what a 3 month old Golden should weigh? Is there a growth chart somewhere on here I can look at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
3 month old weight

My pup is 3.5 months and weighs 25 lbs. I think he is in good shape, not over or under weight, but I'm sure this varies slightly with all dogs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Overfeeding a pup will not lead to obesity right away. It will cause the pup to grow rapidly. Once the pup shows signs of obesity, he has already grown much larger than he should have by that point.

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
That's a good point. I've done quite a bit of research on hip dysplasia and its causes... mostly there is much disagreement and little by way of thorough scientific studies... causing much confusion. But the 3 causes that I feel have been shown beyond doubt are: genetics, calcium suppliments, and obesity in young pups.

Goldens can come in too many sizes and shapes to make a height/weight chart very useful/accurate. Some one has already mentioned (in another thread) the best way to tell if your pup is overweight or not... do the rib/spine feel test. If you can easily feel your pups ribs and every vertibra along his back, your pup in not too fat but if you can see the ribs and vertibrae, then he's way too skinny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out this link:
Retrievers
Hi!

According to this chart, we're really in trouble! Our Marley, now 14 weeks old, male, already has 37 lbs... He's very lean, and he doesn't eat all that much. I have him on raw foods and no kibble, and I don't give him any supplements.... he is outdoors a bit, and he loves it cold, so I'm praying he's not going to get HD or any other skeletal diseases...

Golden Greetings from Germany...

Aldona and Marley.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Both my boys averaged about a 10 pound weight gain a month. So at three months, they were already around 30 something pounds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both my boys averaged about a 10 pound weight gain a month. So at three months, they were already around 30 something pounds.
Thats sooooooo good to know!! I called the breeder, to let her know what the vet said, and she told me not to worry. Marley's brother is also "too heavy" for their vet as well... The breeder said that Marley and his brother's bones are big and heavy. They were never the runts of the litter to begin with, so I guess I won't worry too much... but I have cut back on food... I also think he has begun teething, because everything he chews on now, like slippers and his stuffed toys, are like super wet... reminds me of when my human kids were teething!

Golden Greetings,
Aldona w/ Marley the Golden, and Sheldon the Sheltie

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I had a foster puppy at 11 weeks weighted 22 pounds...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Nygel is a big boy as well and a bit roly poly in this picture. All it took to slim him down a bit was to gradually change him from puppy food (3 meals/day) to adult food twice a day.

Oliver is also a big boy @ 85 lbs but not one ounce of fat on his bones! He is very well toned and people sometimes say that he looks skinny.

I think that "ideal" weight has to be looked at on individual dogs as with people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts