Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post on the forum and I'm sure if I'm posting in the correct thread, so if I'm not you'll have to excuse me.

Toby is my frist golden retriever...and I was just trying to gauge how large he may be.

He's 4 month's and 2 Weeks and he weighs about 40 pounds as of now, he's got these massive paws, and his dad was a fairly large dog (pure bred).

I was just wondering if his size is normal and how big anyone thinks he may be ?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Any idea on when he will hit his growth spurt ?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. 40 lbs sounds a little heavy for the age but most golden males will end up around 70 lbs when they are adult. There are some that will reach 90 lbs but they are not considered to be within the breed standard. We would love to see pictures of your boy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definatley get some pictures, that's what I thought to but the vet says he's perfectly healthy (We feed him twice daily Day and Night).

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This is from Confetti Golden Retrievers, quoting long-time Golden Retriever breeder/judge Rhonda Hovan, an advocate of the "slow growth program" for young golden retrievers:

http://confettigoldens.com/assets/slow%20grow.current.pdf

Her article states that there can be deviations, but Oakley's Dad is correct--your boy, as per the recommendation of top golden retriever breeders, is growing faster than what is suggested (the top end at 20 weeks, and you said your golden is 18 weeks) is 30 lbs. The guidelines actually recommend that growth begin to slow at 5 months of age. The rationale is that slower growth creates less stress on joints and muscles and also smaller less heavier goldens, as per studies, are less prone to cancer than larger, heavier ones (or obese or overweight ones).

You said that genetically, your golden comes from large dogs, so you may have to look at this and see how much of it to apply to your situation--male golden retrievers bred to meet the AKC standard should be no taller than 23 to 24 inches, and weigh 65 to 75 pounds and these guidelines are written with this in mind. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have two Goldens, a White one (Cooper) who's just turned 4 and a dark golden one (Tommy) who is six months old. I too was wondering how much more they grow after 6 months of age. I dont really recall how much more Cooper grew when he was that age as I didn't have another golden to compare him to. Cooper is 24 inches to the shoulders and Tommy, at 6 months old, is a gangly 22 inches. His parents were not overly big. He'd already be as tall if not taller than his mother (only saw a photo of his father).

How much more do you reckon he will grow?

Once I figure out how, I'll post a picture of them both. They are gorgeous!

Cheers, Jase

1 - 5 of 5 Posts