Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dog Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!:)

I have question, mostly out of curiosity. I've always heard that dogs tend to grow taller in their first year and then fill out during their second year.

At Jasmine's 1-year vet appointment, she weighed 48 lbs. I assumed I just had a smaller golden retriever on my hands. At her 2-year-old vet appointment, she weighed 58 lbs, which is about a 20% increase in weight!

Is this typical? How much did your 1-year-old golden weigh? How much did s/he weigh at 2 years?

Attachments

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
I just wanted to say, she is ADORABLE!! I don't know about weight increase, Z weighed around 55 lbs at 8 months and was 60 lbs at her year appointment. But she's not even a year and a half yet, so we'll see. I hope she doesn't gain much - we're trying to move, and I can pass a 60 lb dog off as 50 lbs, but a 70 lb dog not so much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jasmine is adorable. My Duchess is only four months old and she weighs 30 pounds now. My previous golden Maddie was 75 pounds at one and held steady at 89 pounds there after until she passed away.

·
Lloyd's mom
404 Posts
I look forward to responses! My pup is now 8 months and weighs 65 pounds. He's long and has a lot of filling out to do, so I'm very curious how bit he will end up getting... His mom was 70 pounds and his dad was 80. I'm guessing he will end up bigger than his papa when it is all said and done.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,607 Posts
Most of my girls have added from 5 to 10 pounds between their first and second year. They also add a little height as well as they fill out and muscle up.

Boys take a little longer to fill out with many not reaching their full potential until age 3.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Maverick didn't really "top off" until he was a little over 2.5yrs at 93lbs. He gained some "holiday weight" though and his max was 97.6lbs, though it's back down to 96lbs. I think he could lose more, but he's such a darn good dog he always gets treats:doh:

But I think around his first birthday he weight in at about 85lbs.

If I feel for his rib cage, there's a good layer in front of it and I can tell it's not just skin lol...

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
That sounds about right. Shala was about 40 pounds at a year old. She is 50 pounds now - and it has just been getting a bit taller and filling out into a grown up dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.