Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you have seen recent pics of Joy....Yesterday she weighed in at 67.2 pounds. Although she has a defined waistline and I can still adequately feel her ribs I was a little suprised.
Joy's Breeder expressed a little concern about putting on that much weight on her hips.

We do get plenty of beach runs in for exercise and she seems fine.
What do you think???

Joy's Dad.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You'll get a better reply if you post the pics in this thread. A picture from the side, and one from the top looking down at her would be helpful. Also, I'm not sure how old she is or how tall she is, so it's even harder to judge.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We would definitely need to see a picture in order to give accurate advice, although I would be a bit concerned if you can't easily feel her ribs. At 67 pounds, she may be a bit large for a female golden. Cutting back on food and treats and upping the amount of exercise can easily fix that.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Generally, if you're concerned your dog is overweight, you're probably right. Many pet Goldens are overweight, so our sense of the proper look can get skewed. Even minor obesity shortens a dog's lifespan and hastens the onset of geriatric problems like arthritis. Dogs kept at a proper weight have, on average, almost two extra years of life and a two year delay in age-related health issues. Two extra healthy years!

Ribs should be easily felt without having to press in on the cutaneous fat, and the waist should be easily visible from the top (though this varies with coat). The leaner side of ideal is healthier than the fatter side.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pic of Joy

Actually I thought Joy was on target. But when I emailed the breeder an update she got alittle concerned. So here are a few pics I already have. I get a top view soon.....Thanks JOhn

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If I recall, she's not even a year old yet, right? 67 pounds isn't bad for a full grown female, but if Joy is still growing, part of the concern may be because she is putting weight on too quickly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I recall, she's not even a year old yet, right? 67 pounds isn't bad for a full grown female, but if Joy is still growing, part of the concern may be because she is putting weight on too quickly.
You are right....8.5 months and we do want her to slow down...although without sounding defensive she is solid and runs like the wind on the beach...but I will be careful not to 0ver treat....

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It's hard to tell in pictures, but I do think that her waist could be a bit more defined. I agree with mdoats that 67 lbs is a lot for a 8.5 month old female. How much are you feeding her? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to cut back a bit on her food ...

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Selka is 10, neutered and like me, puts on weight just looking at a treat. He also retrieves a couple times then heads for the porch! Unlike his brother who would retrieve till he dropped dead.

My vet advised cutting his food to a cup and a half a day and that way I can still give him a non fat treat now and then. I have done the green bean diet with him ... I need to again as it seems if he loses a few pounds he quickly puts them back on. It''s an ongoing battle , just like my own!

I think your pup probably would do great with just fewer treats and more exercise.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My adult female weighed 63 with her coat. Yesterday at the vet she surprised me by weighing in at 59! Vet said she's a model of canine fitness. Here she is shaved- good way to see what a fit Golden should look like! And she's not small. She's a decent sized girl with some substance. I included some of my male (the dog that is not shaved down) who is also in good weight at about 60 to 65 (Haven't weighed him lately).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Great idea to add pictures, here's one of Maddie, she'll be 2 in Feb. I haven't weighed her in awhile but she should be right around 60 lbs. She eats 1 3/4 cups of Innova Adult per day (she's pretty lazy around the house and sleeps a lot).

Attachments

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Here's a chart from Purina that Ambika (Hank) has shared before. Esp at her age, I would rather see her a little thin than a little thick.

They are both from purina's website (Body Condition Chart)

Understanding Your Dog's Body Condition

Too Thin

1 Ribs, lumbar vertebrae, pelvic bones and all bony prominences evident from a distance. No discernible body fat. Obvious loss of muscle mass.
2 Ribs, lumbar vertebrae and pelvic bones easily visible. No palpable fat. Some evidence of other bony prominence. Minimal loss of muscle mass.
3 Ribs easily palpated and may be visible with no palpable fat. Tops of lumbar vertebrae visible. Pelvic bones becoming prominent. Obvious waist.

Ideal

4 Ribs easily palpable, with minimal fat covering. Waist easily noted, viewed from above. Abdominal tuck evident.
5 Ribs palpable without excess fat covering. Waist observed behind ribs when viewed from above. Abdomen tucked up when viewed.

Too Heavy

6 Ribs palpable with slight excess fat covering. Waist is discernible viewed from above but is not prominent. Abdominal tuck apparent.
7 Ribs palpable with difficulty; heavy fat cover. Noticeable fat deposits over lumbar area and base of tail. Waist absent or barely visible. Abdominal tuck may be present.
8 Ribs not palpable under very heavy fat cover, or palpable only with significant pressure. Heavy fat deposits over lumbar area and base of tail. Waist absent. No abdominal tuck. Obvious abdominal distension may be present.
9 Massive fat deposits over thorax, spine and base of tail. Waist and abdominal tuck absent. Fat deposits on neck and limbs. Obvious abdominal distention.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts