Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had the girls at the clinic yesterday to check their weight. I thought this would finally be the month when Blush would pass Layla.

August: Layla, 12 months-51.2 pounds ---Blush, 6 months-49.8 pounds
September: Layla, 13 months-50.9 pounds ---Blush, 7 months-51.4 pounds
October: Layla, 14 months-53.4 pounds ---Blush, 8 months-53.4 pounds

they were exactly the same!

Blush is now much larger than Layla, she stands taller & is longer. She has tons more coat & very large bone structure. Layla is such a petite little field coat, but she is solid muscle!

How do your dog's compare?

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
My Tucker who is 12 weighs 85lbs., not an ounce of fat on him - tall , lean, more of the field line.

My Tanner who is 8 weighs 73lbs., he looks alot heavier than Tucker. His body structure is different. He is shorter, fluffly, and would probably be 100lbs if I let him. He looks bigger than he is and when he gets wet you realize he's not that big just very, very , very fluffly.

I love them both , love both their body types and attitudes , which is totally different as well.

·
Maggie and Mya's Mom
368 Posts
Wow yours are not big at all...but they are beautiful :)
On the day of Maggies stay in the hospital this past week she weighed 69.8 pounds at 12 months and Mya weighed 19.6 at 3 months...Maggie went from 74 to 69.8 in a week from having the runs, the surgeon wants her to go to 65 but we didnt want her to lose it that way...so we will see what happens in the coming weeks...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Tucker is 10 weeks old and we just took him to the vet this past week. He weighed in at 20 pounds. He's going to be a big boy like his dad!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow yours are not big at all...but they are beautiful :)
On the day of Maggies stay in the hospital this past week she weighed 69.8 pounds at 12 months and Mya weighed 19.6 at 3 months...Maggie went from 74 to 69.8 in a week from having the runs, the surgeon wants her to go to 65 but we didn't want her to lose it that way...so we will see what happens in the coming weeks...

Thanks! Layla does seem quite small compared to many goldens we see at shows. However, she is 22 inches tall & 23 inches long, 53.4 pounds at 14 months.

below is a quote from AKC.org...
Size, Proportion, Substance
Males 23-24 inches in height at withers; females 21½-22½ inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify. Length from breastbone to point of buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; bitches 55-65 pounds.

I think the general public is so used to seeing HUGE overweight goldens that they don't recognize a healthy dog within the breed standard. Every time we take her out, we get the "she could be some sort of golden mix" comment. it drives me crazy!:bowl:

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
How cute that Layla and Blush weighed exactly the same! Layla must be really buff. :)

Tucker is 10 weeks old and we just took him to the vet this past week. He weighed in at 20 pounds. He's going to be a big boy like his dad!
Wow, Tucker is a big boy! How big was his dad?
Gibson is 10 weeks tomorrow, and he weighed 14 lbs. yesterday. (And I thought our guy was big!)

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
Parker is 3 1/2 years old and weighs 72lbs.
Camden is 1 1/2 years old and weighs 65lbs

And Tyson our new landlubber is 4 1/2 and weighs 74lbs.
It's amazing actually to see how he's lost weight in just the few weeks he's been with us. He was a bit tubby when we first got him... now he's a lean mean muscle machine!

I visited my aunt today and cringed when I saw her lab. He's made it up to 115! That made my hips hurt just looking at him!!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Abbie is 65.0 lbs at 2 years old.... Maggie is 65.4 lbs at 3 years old.... Cruiser is 18 months and is 85 lbs and Hootie is 3 years old and 63 lbs

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Fergus is bigger, stronger, taller, wider, and furrier than Lily and yet she weighs more. It's like an optical illusion. He is about 65 and Lily is about 70. She's chubby, but we're working on it!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby is 13 months old and weighs in at 52 lbs. She is extremely active and very lean. For such a small girl she is quite strong. I think if she were any bigger I wouldn't be able to handle her.

Vicky-mom to Ruby 13 months

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The 2 comments I receive about Ruby when we are out is, is she a mix? or a rescue? I think the public does expect to see a chunky Golden. Those comments do drive my crazy!!

Vicky-mom to Ruby 13 months

·
Look at that face...
89 Posts
Sam is just over a year old and he was 75 lbs. at his last vet visit about 2 months ago. I think he's trimmed down a bit but we haven't weighed him to know for sure, so he may be a bit less. I think he'll end up in the 70-75 pound range though. He seemed so huge to us when we first got him because our other dogs (mutts from the pound) were only about 40 pounds each. Now we're used to it and he doesn't seem so huge to me anymore. :)

There is a lovely female Golden across the street that I NEVER thought of as overweight before....until we got Sam. Now when she comes over to play I can see that first of all, she's a fuzzball and second of all, she has NO HIPS, lol. She's chubby but sweet as can be. Sam loves her, and we do too. How can you not love a Golden?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts