Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Week 2 Lessons Learned

271 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  caninelover
Last week was the second week my little girl was with us. Week 1 was stressful with pouring rain and getting her used to her potty area. We've had much better weather this week, thank goodness! Anyway here's a summary of what's working and what's not!

What went well:
  • Potty training! We've had 3+ days without an accident and she is starting to figure out her potty bells. Just need to continue what we're doing there.
  • Crate training - much better than week 1. Really the only fussing now is in the morning when I put her in to shower. I think she just has a lot of energy in the mornings but isn't super focused for training. Plus I am not a morning person so I'm not super motivated for training. I think this will get better once she's vaccinated and I can take her outside. There is a park nearby with a bug grassy field (not fenced so she'll need to be on a long lead) for her to run/play and get some of her morning energy out. By the afternoons she is more chill and will march into her crate and settle down to nap. My husband and I have also been able to get out together for a couple of hours at a time for dinner over the weekend and she settled in her crate perfectly with no fussing.
  • Chewing - she sometimes chew the rug or the table (or us lol) but we keep going with the corrections.
  • Eating - she eats all 3 meals with gusto!
  • Socialization - I keep a journal and counted 27 people and 16 other pups so far! She enjoys her puppy pre-school!
  • Obedience - her sit and down are reliable (with a treat to lure). Look at me and Touch are also pretty good. She learned Shake hands and we're practicing that. Also practicing loose leash walking in the house.
  • Cats - I still bring her on leash to the room where the cats are in e or twice a day and we practice obedience and the cats get tons of treats. The cats seem increasingly comfortable with her.

What didn't go so well:
  • We wanted to move her to our upstairs master bedroom last week but realized it won't be practical until she's going up and down stairs by herself (our stairs are carpeted and there is a landing mid-way for a break). She can hop up a couple of steps and will go down maybe half the stairs but not ready for the whole stairs yet. So my husband and I moved back upstairs to our master bedroom and we left her sleeping in her crate overnight in the downstairs guest room (she was fine!). We learned it is definitely important to adapt to what your pup can and can't do.
  • Behavior - the one I need to work on is her scratching at the bottom of our sofa when she's laying down near it. Maybe just continued correction I guess but it's a strange habit.
  • Kong - she gets a bit stuck halfway through and I have to help her by loosening the rest of it. Hopefully as she grows she can hold it better herself.
  • Bath time - she had her first bath last week and hated it lol. I made it quick and just filled the tub a bit, poured water, wet her with a cup pouring water over her, a quick shampoo and rinse, towel dry. Next time I will try a licki mat with peanut butter.

Let's hope week 3 continues to go well! I want to fast forward to a vaccinated pup but at the same time I want her to stay little and floofy :)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,814 Posts
I think y'all are doing great. You seem to do well with figuring out a different approach whenever something doesn't work at first......adapt and overcome. Don't wish too hard for a big dog...that will come soon enough. Just enjoy each day with her.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think y'all are doing great. You seem to do well with figuring out a different approach whenever something doesn't work at first......adapt and overcome. Don't wish too hard for a big dog...that will come soon enough. Just enjoy each day with her.
Thanks and yes I've learned to go with the flow. Like most who are on here I've read the forum, many books, countless hours of YouTube videos and had a solid plan. But then the pup gets here and it's like well that isn't gonna work yet LOL. Each pup is an individual after all.

Yes I will definitely miss the little floof who can't even get on the sofa by herself yet ( and it's so funny watching her try each day) :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts