Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for puppies of 7 weeks to have weak hind legs? Sometimes when Rocky is lying down and he decides to move to get something like this toys, instead of getting up he just uses his two front paws to move himself forward. He's always chewing or nipping on his hind legs too. When he's eating in his crate the leg he usually nips on is always sliding.

When he uses his paws to move (a short distance) is it just because he's lazy or could there be something with the his legs?

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's not normal to have weak hind legs, now the question is whether Rocky has weak legs or is just being a Goofy Golden.

Does he show any other signs of discomfort? Does he run, jump, play normally? When he does stairs or is getting up does he appear to be struggling or in pain?

If you have concerns about his legs then you should see your Vet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope he's just being a goofy golden, when he running around the yard his legs are fine and look pretty strong. Although once in a while he'll trip or glide and slide a bit when he's in too much of a rush. Like when he hears the sound of dinner coming, he'll dash through the kitchen and trip over his own legs or something and all you see his him falling over and sliding on the floor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what you described I judge there is nothing to be worry about. Puppies are always this clumsy. If he is only 7 weeks old I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WeluvGoldens said:
Maybe he lays on them wrong and they go numb. :confused: Ya'know like how our legs do that and then they feel like pins and needles.

:p Just a thought!
i hope so, it seems a lot better now. He does sleep in the weirdest position, so I guess when he wakes up they'll be a bit numb because they were kind of bent and he was sleeping on them. He's still a little clumsy which is kind of cute to watch, especially when he's running to catch up to you and all of a sudden he just flips and lands right in front of your legs.:doh:

·
Registered
215 Posts
TRACY, just wondering if this has gotten any better?? Its sounds a little odd to me, ive been around lots of pups, and this doesnt seem normal. Hopefully it was just a fluke! Were both of the parents of Rocky OFA'd??? (that doesnt mean everything, but helps give peace of mind) I hope hes ok, he sure is handsome!:curtain:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unfortunately, his parents aren't OFA'd, we got him from a backyard breeder:doh: It's gotten a lot better, until today, after he went to puppy class he started sliding and gliding a lot. I'm not sure if it's because he's running to fast and he just slips when he's trying to stop once he's caught up with us. At puppy class he just ran and ran chasing and running away from other dogs and at time would just be clumsy and slip, but I guess this is normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts