Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just an update...

So far, I have two families that are interested in Charlie. Both people have someone who is home all day, so he will get the attention that he needs. Both also have yards, so he'll have a place to play outside. Both have older children and both have had puppies before.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this plays out, but at least it's looking a little more positive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What kind of work is involved...what does he need?

Hi Booker.

He needs someone that will give him the time and devotion that a puppy needs. He does not do well being left alone all day. He no longer enjoys being in his crate and really just needs someone who has the time to devote to appropriate discipline and training.

Thanks,
Bonni

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an update...

So far, I have two families that are interested in Charlie. Both people have someone who is home all day, so he will get the attention that he needs. Both also have yards, so he'll have a place to play outside. Both have older children and both have had puppies before.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this plays out, but at least it's looking a little more positive.

The thing is, seperation anxiety is not a matter of having some one home to be with the dog. Its a mental problem (if thats truly what he has) and it will take a lot more then just some one being there to comfort him. Dogs who become anxious from being alone can become very destructive (even as far as self mutilation)...and even if it did work, and that's a big if, what are you going to do, if in a couple of years their life changes and they can't be home all the time...or...what are you going to do if they just try to leave home for an outing and learn very quickly that the dog can't be left alone?
Dealing with something like this is not as simply as putting the dog into a home where there are more people to deal with the dog, its about restructering the dog, retraining the dog, and finding an outlet and direction for the dog to avert its behavior issues on.
And this dog's issues may not be seperation anxiety, it may be something else...worst case scenerio the behavior evolves into something more destructive or difficult. I think just giving the dog away to some one is a mistake, especially some one who is no more of an experienced dog owner then yourself. I think you are setting the animal up to fail again. I strongly urge you to contact rescue...that would be the safest route for you and the dog.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Charlie Update...

Hi everyone.

Thank you so much for all of your support and advice. This has, by far, been the most difficult week ever. Placing Charlie has been harder than I thought. We had a number of people/families show interest in him, but for one reason or another, they did not want to take him. We're still looking for that right home. :no:

I have contacted my vet and they're keeping their eyes and ears opened, and I have posted him on lab-retriever.net, which is just like this forum, only for labs. They actually have a section specifically for adoption. Hopefully, something will come through this week. If not, we will place him with a rescue.

I found out a lot about rescues this week. For starters, they charge you for taking your dog. I understand why. I mean, they have to pay for the care of the dog, but I was surprised. Also, I tried to contact one of the rescues and their voice mailbox was full and I couldn't leave a message. I have a feeling that is an indication that they're not taking any new animals, as they can't keep up. If I have to reach them in the next week, I'll do so via fax.

So, that's where we're at with Charlie.

Again, if you know anyone in the Toronto Canada area who's interested in a beautiful lab, please let me know.

Thanks again for all of the support I received here. It's been a tough week, as I mentioned, and being reassured that we're doing the right thing has been very integral in helping me cope and remain sane.

Sigh.
Bon

21 - 25 of 25 Posts