Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm putting my feelers out there for some help. We have a 5 month old Labrador Retriever named Charlie who is looking for a new and comfy home.

This is the hardest thing that we have ever had to do, but we need to find a new place for Charlie ASAP. He needs a home where the owners can give him the attention he needs. He seems to be sufferning separation anxiety fiercly. He is such a sweet soul and a typical puppy, but he's too much for us to handle at this point in time.

If anyone knows anyone who would be able to give this little guy a good home, please let me know. We have done everything that we can to accomodate him, but we can't and things just seem to be escalating. Please don't judge us...this is certainly not how we intended things to end up. We love him immensely, but it's evident from his behaviour that we're not giving him all that he needs.

Please send me a private message if you know someone who is interested. FYI, we're in the Greater Toronto Area.

Here are some pictures of this adorable, yet energetic little boy...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
That is a very hard decision but I don't think seperation anxiety starts at such a young age. That is called puppyhood. I hate that you must give him up but i'm also sorry to tell you that all puppy's need supervision and confinment to avoid destructive behavior. Good Luck placing him. I'm sure someone will help you out. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crap is right. This is the worst thing I've ever had to do. I always have to do things that I don't want to do because it's the right thing, but this one is the be all to end all.

Keep your fingers crossed that we find him a good home. I've also contacted a local rescue, who will foster him if need be. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Later,
Bonni, aka Sadness :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm sorry it's not working out with Charlie. I went through the same type of feelings when we first got Abby a little over a year ago. I went through a couple months of "Oh my God - what have I got myself into!" We had settled into a great routine with Buffy and it was now disrupted.

Abby was a great chewer too and chewed several times on our couches. They were fabric though and I was able to sew them up. They don't look great but it's amazing what a well-placed throw will do!

My husband even said about 5 months after we got her, that maybe we should find her another home. Right then & there, I knew that was not what I wanted and I started crying. So we toughed it out and now Abby leaving is not part of any equation.

I'm not trying to talk you into keeping Charlie - only you can make that decision. Do whatever you think is best for him. He's still young and will adapt if a loving home is found for him.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
I do know the pound is full of labs--nice looking ones too--sad they only keep them 3 days before the big lethal injection.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would never take him to the pound...not even an option!

The pound is not an option. I have found a rescue that places their dogs in foster care. If I cannot find him a good home, I will have them take him. They do not euthinize. I couldn't handle that.

I know it sounds like I'm lazy and can't be bothered, but I honestly didn't realize the work involved and should never have taken him in the first place. I am fully aware that he will be paying for my mistake. In my heart of hearts, I know that this is the right thing for him in the long run.

I appreciate that other families have 2 dogs and they've gone through the same trials and tribulations, but I guess I'm just not cut out for this.

Maybe at another point in my life or under different circumstances, but the timing totally sucks and something's gotta give.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Sorry you are going through this...I know its hard and just pulls at the heart.....

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
The pound is not an option. I have found a rescue that places their dogs in foster care. If I cannot find him a good home, I will have them take him. They do not euthinize. I couldn't handle that.

I know it sounds like I'm lazy and can't be bothered, but I honestly didn't realize the work involved and should never have taken him in the first place. I am fully aware that he will be paying for my mistake. In my heart of hearts, I know that this is the right thing for him in the long run.

I appreciate that other families have 2 dogs and they've gone through the same trials and tribulations, but I guess I'm just not cut out for this.

Maybe at another point in my life or under different circumstances, but the timing totally sucks and something's gotta give.
Oh don't be sorry-- I think we all respect you are honest--and we know it is HARD-- I would personally like to thank you for just telling the truth an saying this is more work than you can deal with--and not blaming the dog and sending him to certain death.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Definitely don't be sorry. You're doing what's right for you and the puppy. There are some owners that would just lock him up in a room rather than admit it's too much for them. You've reached this decision while he's still young so he should be pretty easy to adopy out. I think that puppies are easier than older dogs (at least in my area). And he's probably at least partially housebroken (big plus for potential owners) and he's past the razor sharp teeth of puppy teething (another big plus).

Some people are cut out for more than one dog and some aren't. Just like some dogs are cut out to be one of several and others have to be the only dog in the house.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having to give him up. I remember when you had just gotten him and how excited you were, so I really hope you and Bonni are ok. Let me know if I can be of any help. I'm all the way down in Texas but am happy to send contributions or whatever I can to get the little guy a new home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone.

I'm putting my feelers out there for some help. We have a 5 month old Labrador Retriever named Charlie who is looking for a new and comfy home.

This is the hardest thing that we have ever had to do, but we need to find a new place for Charlie ASAP. He needs a home where the owners can give him the attention he needs. He seems to be sufferning separation anxiety fiercly. He is such a sweet soul and a typical puppy, but he's too much for us to handle at this point in time.
]

Why aren't you contacting your breeder and returning him to them?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why aren't you contacting your breeder and returning him to them?
Because we didn't receive him from a breeder. We got him as a rescue from a couple who purchased him from a pet store. I have his geneology papers, which state where he came from, so worst case scenario, I will contact them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Because we didn't receive him from a breeder. We got him as a rescue from a couple who purchased him from a pet store. I have his geneology papers, which state where he came from, so worst case scenario, I will contact them.

I would strongly suggest you place him with rescue then. The same problems you are having are what other people are going to experience. At least by going strait to rescue, there is less likely the chance for him to wind up shifting from home to home. Its very difficult to place a dog on your own and you may even find yourself facing bills from the dog's destructive behavior. No matter how many times you tell some one something, they often do not "get it". So, even if you tell some one, this dog is high energy they may not get it and leave the dog home alone only to have it destroy their house and then, they will call you ticked off.
A good purebred rescue has good connections and resources. They will be able to properly evaluate the dog, place the dog with some one to begin training with, and then hopefully find the right home for him. Purebred rescues often get a lot of referrals from breeders as well which help them in placing their dogs.
Rescue also has the advantage of contracts etc, and wanting to take back the dog if its no longer wanted. You have to be realistic and decide whether or not that is possible for you to do? Cause sometimes it means a 12 midnight phone call from an angry adoptee cause the dog just ate his wallet and all his credit cards (because he didn't put the dog in the crate as he was told to do) and now you had better come get this dog or he's throwing it out the door... that kinda call ;)

·
Missing Angel Boomer
910 Posts
I am sorry that you have to let him go, it sounds like your mind is made up. Maybe I missed something, but why isn't he crated and did you think about doggie day care?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts