Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a 2 year old girl from a family that had to get rid of he, son had sever allergies. She was kept in her crate, because of this, and, she is probably 20 pounds overweight. I realize that exercise is essential, but, It's cold! Any low-cal food ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I've never used this with dogs myself, bc I always have the opposite problem of trying to put weight on, but I've heard good things about the Wellness weight loss food. Really, though, a high quality food with good protein, like Solid Gold's new Suncatcher or Taste Of The Wild, at 1 cup in the morning, 3/4 cup at night with some warm water, should do it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Many have used the formula of 10 calories per pound of desired weight (of 65 lbs is her ideal weight, then 650 calories/day). Remember to count treats. Green beans can be used to help her feel full if needed, just be sure to use those with no sodium. When our girls were dieting, we used the low fat wellness core and I bought big bags of green beans (frozen) at Sams for super cheap. Small amounts of exercise are good for her, increasing as her endurance and conditioning improve. Really the same advice our drs give us........ calories in versus calories out, and exercise is the key.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,647 Posts
Many have used the formula of 10 calories per pound of desired weight (of 65 lbs is her ideal weight, then 650 calories/day). Remember to count treats. Green beans can be used to help her feel full if needed, just be sure to use those with no sodium. When our girls were dieting, we used the low fat wellness core and I bought big bags of green beans (frozen) at Sams for super cheap. Small amounts of exercise are good for her, increasing as her endurance and conditioning improve. Really the same advice our drs give us........ calories in versus calories out, and exercise is the key.
Great advice Penny & Maggie's mom.

I've also used Fresh fruits such as bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon when in season, and apples. Fed 1/2 or 3/4 cup of kibble, then added fruit to fill my girl up at breakfast time. At dinner time, fed the same amount of kibble, added green beans as filler.

The key really is exercise vs. the amount of calorie intake.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
Less kibble(a weight control type) mixed with green beans keeps Asia from being too chubby so that should help alot. Exercise is crucial too of course.

·
Registered
511 Posts
We just adopted a 2 year old girl from a family that had to get rid of he, son had sever allergies. She was kept in her crate, because of this, and, she is probably 20 pounds overweight. I realize that exercise is essential, but, It's cold! Any low-cal food ideas? Thanks
Too cold for you or your dog? I ask because sometimes people are unnecessarily concerned about their dogs getting too cold which is almost impossible except in extremely harsh conditions. If you are too cold, you will be surprised how little the cold bothers you when you are on a brisk jaunt with your dog. Bundle up well and you will find yourself peeling off layers before you know it.

PS Our GR's love to romp in the snow and really enjoy the cold. It seems to energize them.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My vet recommended a little less food topped up with some canned pumpkin and increased exercise. 'Exercise' can include training times, keep them short and fun, playtime, and working the 'brain' as well as the body. It is rarely too cold for a golden to go outside for a short walk or just playtime in the back yard - even at -30 I go out with my crew for short periods - they love it and I find it one of those 'simple pleasures' I thoroughly enjoy.
Thank you for saving this girl from her crate!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
The lowest kcal/cup food aside from a veterinary diet is Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Adult Light. It has a pretty decent ingredient list and it DOES work. My parents have been feeding it to their overweight golden.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The biggest loser - You can do it

When I adopted my golden girl, she was 30 pounds overweight. I started her on Lite Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (7% fat) mixed with plain non-fat yogurt. Treats (then and now) are apples, bananas, baby carrots and lite dog biscuits.

Exercise is critical too. A word of caution though...from my lessons learned. Bella's former life was sedentary and I was a bit too gung-ho with the jogging routine which resulted in road rash on her paw pads (we had to stop for a couple weeks until the raw spots healed:(). We have a pool and I quickly found out that she’s an obsessive swimmer. The swimming really caused the weight to fall off…almost too much.

Now, she's a very healthy 70-ish lbs and eats 3 cups of Taste of the Wild Salmon per day mixed with yogurt. Her feet have toughened up and she does just fine on a 2-3 mile walk or jog. I’ve found that in the summer when she is swimming I need to increase the kibble so her weight doesn’t drop below 70 lbs.

It’s much easier keeping a dog on a diet routine:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I fast my Lola once a week- usually low sodium msg free chicken broth for one day a week. I give her the broth just as I would feed her at meal time. ( so she kind of thinks she is getting fed). It rests her digestion for one day- good for anyone animal or people!.Wild Dogs in nature do not eat everyday... sometimes they will go several days with out a meal( or a kill). It is good for them as far a keeping weight in check as well!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We put Penny on a weight loss food. Premium Edge. She was hungry all the time. Our vet said dogs need a higher protein food to keep them feeling fuller longer. The higher protein Premium Edge had way too many calories in it

So, using the 10 calories per pound formula, I figured out how much of each food she could have to total 650 calories. I'm very pleased with the results. We mix her food half and half. I think she's gained a bit during her forced rest after TPLO surgery but I think that will come off once she's released from recovery mode. She sure is itchin' to get jumping and running around!

It took her about 5 months to lose 15 pounds. She never noticed she was on a diet.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Don't forget to have her thyroid checked. It might be casuing part of her problem.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Don't use weight control dog food. Just make sure you give the right portion of a good regular dog food. Don't add suppliments or treats. Then add exercise and the weight should fall off.

How much food per day was she getting?

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
We have also used the less-kibble, more veggie approach and it has worked well for us over the years. We have never switched to low-cal kibbles, we use our regular brand, just give less. That along with exercise and you will see a big difference over the next few months.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
When I adopted my golden girl, she was 30 pounds overweight. I started her on Lite Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (7% fat) mixed with plain non-fat yogurt. Treats (then and now) are apples, bananas, baby carrots and lite dog biscuits.

Exercise is critical too. A word of caution though...from my lessons learned. Bella's former life was sedentary and I was a bit too gung-ho with the jogging routine which resulted in road rash on her paw pads (we had to stop for a couple weeks until the raw spots healed:(). We have a pool and I quickly found out that she’s an obsessive swimmer. The swimming really caused the weight to fall off…almost too much.

Now, she's a very healthy 70-ish lbs and eats 3 cups of Taste of the Wild Salmon per day mixed with yogurt. Her feet have toughened up and she does just fine on a 2-3 mile walk or jog. I’ve found that in the summer when she is swimming I need to increase the kibble so her weight doesn’t drop below 70 lbs.
WOW. What a difference! I bet she has more fun, now, too. And I agree, it's easier for me to put my dog on a diet than it is for me to keep myself on a diet! LOL :doh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts