Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Missing my Sadie girl
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here is a very long time but at this time I am turning to all the Golden lovers out there for support and possibly some answers.

On Saturday night we lost our beloved 1 1/2 year old Sadie. Our family is completely devestated. I haven't gone more then 10 minutes without bursting into tears.

Sadie was the sweetest dog I have ever had to pleasure of knowing and loving. Everyone that met her was in complete awe of her disposition. I had recently had her certified to be a therapy dog and we had only just begun our visits with the elderly. This info has no relevence to what happened but I just need everyone to know how incredible she was.

Saturday was a normal day, we spent the day in the backyard with Sadie playing chase with our kids (9 and 5). In the evening my husband and I went out and my mom came to stay with Sadie and the kids. We left the house at 7pm and everything was normal. Sadie was "dancing" around the living room with her stuffy in her mouth waiting for mom and the kids to take her for her evening walk.

At 10:15 I got a call from my asking us to come home cause something was wrong with Sadie. She said she was panting really heavy and trying to throw up but nothing was coming up. My mom seemed really upset so my hubby and left the party we were at and headed home (we were only 15 mins away). Just after we left my mom called again and said that Sadie had thrown up but her tongue was blue and she was not acting right. I told my mom we were 5 mins from home and we were taking her immediately to the emergency vet (my mom doesn't drive so there was nothing she could do). A few mins later my mom called back, competely hysterical because Sadie has collapsed on the kitchen floor and wasn't breathing. We arrived home not a minute after this last call from my mom and Sadie had passed in our kitchen. My poor 9 year old son watched the whole thing happen.

The whole scene was competely surreal. We knew she was gone but my husband and I rushed her to the emergency vet anyway. There is nothing they can tell us about what happened without a post mortem. The vet says most probably it was twisted stomach. I have looked it up and this definatley sounds like what my mom experienced.

I am completely beside myself with grief. I keep wondering if there was anything we did, didn't do. I have had to put dogs down in the past but always due to old age and it was always hard but what happened to Sadie is by far way worse then my other experiences.

How does a competely healthly 1 1/2 year old Golden just die???? It's not fair!!!!!!!

I have so many wonderful pictures to share of my beautiful girl but I can't bring myself to look at them yet.

Thank you for reading.

Carolyne (broken hearted mommy to Sadie)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The blue tongue to me sounds like she was asphyxiated. Maybe she ate something she that was stuck so she was trying to vomit it up... and then when she finally vomited she asphyxiated on that and died.

Either way I'm so sorry this happened to you. Its hard to lose a pet you know is old and is going but I'm sure it's even harder to lose one you were expecting to see when you got home :(

Sending big hugs your way.

·
goldenfan
670 Posts
It does sound like a twisted stomach Vomiting and nothing coming up is a classic sign. So sorry it must have been a dreadful shock. Annef

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Carolyn

Carolyn

I CAN'T tell you how sorry I am. Sounds like Sadie got Bloat, which is an awful killer!

My hubby and I almost lost two dogs to it. Bloat is one of those awful things, that unless you get your dog immediate vet attention, they will most likely not make it. Ken and I knew nothing about bloat until we almost lost our Gizmo and Snobear to it.

There is a Bloat Chart Topic on this forum:
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-health-anatomy-physiology-breed-standard/68880-bloat-chart.html

Bloat in Dogs

www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Jump to Symptoms‎: Perhaps the earliest warning sign and may be the only sign that ... go outside in the middle of the night, bloat is a very real possibility.

Symptoms - Causes - Prevention - Breeds at Risk

Signs of Bloat

devinefarm.net/rp/bloat98.htm

For this reason, a dog owner should be aware of the following warning signs of bloat: A sudden display of discomfort is the first warning sign. The dog may whine ...

Signs of Bloat by Gael Goldsack

www.iwane.org/bloat_signs.htm

Bloat is one of the words that strikes fear into the hearts of owners of deep chested ... There seemed to be far more warning signs picked up by dedicated dog ...

What you Don't Know about Bloat can Kill your Dog | Victoria Stilwell ...

positively.com/.../what-you-dont-know-about-bloat-can-kill-your-do...

Apr 23, 2011 – Some early warning signs of bloat are a hard, distended abdomen, abnormal restlessness or lethargy, drooling, heavy panting, dry heaves, and ...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I am so sorry! How devastating for your 9 year old to have seen her struggle like that. Heartbreaking for your family to lose such a wonderful girl. My thoughts are with you. Rest in peace sweet Sadie.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
My heart is breaking for you, you are so completely right it is not fair to lose a dog so young. I am so incredibly sorry for her loss.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I am terribly sorry for your sudden loss. I couldn't even imagine losing one of my fur kids so young and so quickly. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Give your child plenty of time to deal with what happened. Maybe have them make some pictures, do a memorial garden where they can go and grieve (all of you). Nobody blame themselves for what happened and know that she is free of all pain.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry. She was so beautiful and far too young to die. I have no idea what could have happened to a dog so young. I can only offer heartfelt sympathy for what you are going through. You might want to have the post mortem done just to give you some peace of mind.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,420 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear about Sadie, I can't even begin to imagine what you went through and the grief you are feeling now. It sounds like Bloat to me also.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
flykelley
675 Posts
I am so sorry, can't image what it would feel like to lose such a young dog. Hugs and prayers to your family. We can't make the pain go away but most of us know how hard it is to loss a special golden. Please feel free to post in the grief section of the rainbow bridge, the members on her helped me through losing my heart dog Katie. It's never easy and Im not sure you ever get over it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 69 Posts