Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We lost our beloved 10 year old Golden tonight from Hemangiosarcoma. He had just been diagnosed a month ago and we were told he probably had about a month to live. He had a few down days here and there but overall he was doing pretty good. He had a great day yesterday with a visit from some friends who came especially to see him and brought him his favorite treats. This morning he wouldn't eat his favorite breakfast of scrambled eggs and just had a tired look in his eyes. Something told me I needed to stay home from work to be with him. He seemed to be breathing harder than he had been and as the day went on his condition worsened and he became very weak. I called my dh to come home and called the vet to take him in to see if there was anything they could do or to have them tell me it was time to say goodbye. He held on long enough for his Daddy to come home and passed away peacefully in our living room. We are absolutely devastated, he was our big red boy and we loved him so much. I cannot imagine life without him, he was a Mama's boy and stuck to me like glue. He is going to be so very missed by his human family and his canine and feline siblings as well. Everyone that met him fell in love with him and he loved them in return. My only comfort is that he is happy and healthy again and has joined his friends that have gone on before him to the Rainbow Bridge. He was also terrified of thunderstorms and I know that he no longer has to worry about them. Rest in Peace my sweet baby, Mommy and Daddy will see you again someday.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I'm so sorry, cancer is evil, I'll never understand why it exists.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I think that Rusty got his final wish of a day at home alone with his mom. I don't really know what else to say except that I know you will find great comfort from this forum during this trying time. ((((hugs))))

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so terribly sorry to hear of your beautiful boy Rusty's passing. Cancer is such a horrible disease, and so many of us share your grief here on the forum and so understand the empty feelings you nos have. Rest in peace sweet Rusty, healthy and happy running free at the bridge.

·
3 goldens
12,094 Posts
I am so very very sorry.My golden girl, KayCee died as I held on May 25, 2008 while wiating for the vet to come release her. She had a gastrointestinal stromal tumor--the first my vet had ever seen in 20 years od surgery. She was 8 years, 9 months. Cancer in one form or another is taking way far to many of our beloved dogs and seems to be especially common in our beloved goldens.

You are right that Rusty is well and happy and what a ton of new friends to make, I know you heart is torn apart now and you will always miss that wonderful boy, but the pain does ease with time.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I started to cry reading about Rusty. He sounds like he was a wonderful dog and I'm so sorry to hear about him passing :( I can tell he was lucky to have had you and I bet he is watching over you and your family while playing endless games of fetch with all of our furkids that are at the bridge too.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of sweet Rusty. Mere words will not heal the pain you are feeling right now. All I can say is that many of us have felt that pain and are here for you. Run free at the bridge sweet Rusty! When the time is right I strongly suggest in opening your home to a new golden pup. Having been in your situation before I can assure you that puppy kisses are wonderful medicine.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
I started to cry reading about Rusty. He sounds like he was a wonderful dog and I'm so sorry to hear about him passing :( I can tell he was lucky to have had you and I bet he is watching over you and your family while playing endless games of fetch with all of our furkids that are at the bridge too.
I am crying too. I am so very sorry. Perhaps, your Rusty and my Goldie girl are celebrating the fact there are no thunderstorms at the bridge. May the passing of time ease your pain.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Kathi,

I am so sorry. This is by far the worse part of Goldens. They don't stay with us for a lifetime. We lost our redhead 13 year old Golden in February. I still shed tears like now reading about your heart breaking loss. Our Riker looked just like Rusty. I love the white face on Rusty he looks so stoic sitting in the snow.

I joined a month after losing Riker and the forum is a great place to help with grieving. We all understand what you are going through. Please upload some more photos for us to see and share some of your favorite moments of Rusty with us.

God Bless......

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your precious Rusty. He must have felt so peaceful having his mom and dad there with him as he began his journey to the Bridge. Wishing you strength and peace to get through this sorrowful time...

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I have tears in my eyes after reading your post, filled with such love and heartache. I'm so sorry. Know that we'll be here to walk this sad path with you. I'm so glad you stayed home to be with him....... what a gift for you both. Godspeed sweet Rusty, and big hugs to you and your family.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful handsome boy. We will say a prayer for you and your family. May your love and memories help to heal your pain from losing him. There are so many people here that have been thru this same thing with their pups and know your pain. As someone said to me that really stuck to me when my Beau passed.
"He is still with you, now walking on silent paws".
When you feel up to it, I hope you will post pictures and stories about Rusty.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
So sorry to hear of the loss of Rusty he is pain free now but i know only to well like most on this site how hard it is to lose your best friend.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Rusty, I hope the happy memories you have will help you through this devastating time.

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
Oh dear, crying for you here too, understanding only too well the heartache you are going through. So sorry to hear of the loss of your handsome boy Rusty.
I sometimes think I am not going to read these bridge post any more but, having found this wonderful forum after I lost my beautiful golden and being on the receiving end of the kindness shown by the people here, I try to make sure I write on every one. Whilst nothing eases the pain itis heartwarming to know people care.
This little verse did help me at the time and I carried it everywhere. Hope it helps you too.

Although we may not be together
In the way we used to be
We are still connected
By a cord no eye can see
So whenever you need to find me
We are nevr far apart
If you look beyond the rainbow
And listen with your heart.

Rusty, Run free without pain in a place where no thunderstorms gather.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,687 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Rusty was beautiful and will be missed.

Run softly at the bridge, sweet Rusty whole and healthy again where there are no thunderstorms ...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts