Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday morning when we woke up one of our older dogs (Tangles or Mr. T) looked very sick. We found where he had threw up earlier. It looked liked it was pure water and he was trembling really bad and he was having a hard time breathing. We called our vet and he asked if if might have eaten something and we said that we didn't think so so he told us to check his gums and they were gray to white in color. He told us to give him some Maalox with anti-gas (15ml) and to get him to his office asap. Giving him the Maalox and getting him to the car, he weights 90 lbs, plus the 30 min. drive to the vet (we live in the middle of nowhere) about an hour had passed. I went and told them that we were there and they asked if I needed help carrying him in and I said "yes". When we went back to the car I open the door and Tangles got out on his own, we went into the office and Tangles went straight over to the scale so he could be weighed like we always do and then they got us right in. The vet said that he was pretty sure that Tangles had some level of bloat. When the vet was checking him Tangles was not trembling anymore and his gums had gotten his color back. The vet said that maybe the anti-gas maalox probably help and for us to keep giving it to himevery 4 hrs and limit his water and not to give him food for 24 hrs. Also, the whites of his eyes was blood red, the vet said that he probably broke the blood vessels from heevying real hard.

The vet sent us home and told us to call him the next morning to give him a update. Since we both work from home we were able to keep our eye on Mr. T and by Tuesday evening he started passing gas and he started being his old self. I think he was very lucky and this was my first experience of something like that, it was very scary.

After a dog has that (bloat) are they more at risk for it happening again?

Here's a pic of Mr.T, he is the cream color wheaten mix next to Holly the golden.

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Wow that does sound like a big scare. It sounds like you did everything right for Mr.T. I've not had any experience with bloat myself but the whole forum has felt it through JoEllen's Daisy. (Daisy is fine by the way). From what I understand if a dog has had bloat they are more suseptable to getting it again. Somewhere here on the forum is a great chart showing the symptoms and signs of bloat.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Thank goodness Mr T is ok. I agree with your vet to keep an eye on him to make sure it doesnt happen again. If it does did the vet recommend doing surgery to tack the stomach. There are some vets that say if it happens once it will happen again. My Beau almost died from bloat but it was because his stomach twisted and was cutting off blood to the intestines. Luckily the surgery saved him. And with him it never happened again. One of our members here JoEllen has a girl Daisy had it happen to her dog after a surgery. She bloated a couple of times over a weekend and recovered. And has had no trouble since then. Hopefully she will see this and can chime in.
Hope Mr T will not have any more incidents. Hopefully it was just a very bad gas episode.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr. T is about 8 years old and we have had him for just over 6 years, rescued dog. What scares me is this happened during the night or early morning when everyone was a sleep. The vet said that he could have just rolled over funny in the middle of the night to cause it. He didn't suggest surgery. I just know when we woke up and these guys are just like our kids and we knew as soon as we saw him that something was very wrong.

Another thing that scared us was we lost our little girl Molly 3 months ago to cancer. She was fine and one day she acted like she had no energy, wouldn't eat so we took her to the vet and she was eat up with the cancer. It all took place within about 4 days. She was our first golden and she was only 5. It really broke our hearts.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What a scare you had with your Cute little Mr. T. I have never had a dog that has had bloat, but my Nephews Rottweiler passed away from it at only 3 1/2. I am so glad to hear, that he is doing well. I hope it was just really bad gas, and you will have no recurrences again. I have heard also, that it may be more apt to happen again, if the dog has once had it. Jo Ellen can help answer many questions about bloat, as her sweet Daisy had it as well.
I am so sorry for your loss of your little Molly. Cancer has affected so many of us here on the forum, and it is just devastating. She was so young, and I am just so sad for you. Thankfully, it seems she didn't suffer long, or even act sick till towards the very end. That is how it was with our Jake. He passed on from Lymphoma, just under the age of 6.
I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts

·
3 goldens
12,096 Posts
I know that scared you to bits as it would anyone. I hope it never happens again.
I am so sorry about your golden Molly. I lost my golden girl, KayCee to cacer May 25, 3008. The amss aw found she h ad surgery that day and died as I held her just about 48 hours later. So fast. She was lmost 9.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm glad Tangles is doing better. I fortunately don't personally know about bloat, but I was wondering if you gave him anything different to eat the night/day before that may have caused him to have so much gas? Mine react to certain dog foods with big stinky "release of gas from the rear end".

I hope this was your one and only scare! Boy I sure know how you can worry and obsess after something happens to one of your critters.

Tangles is cute by the way.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Our GR Phoenix passed away in March, 2009 from bloat (he was 8). I had never heard of it in dogs and it came out of nowhere..fine one day, hospitalized and surgery the next and unfortunately passed away 2 days later. His organs just shut down on him. At least now we know the symptoms of bloat and would recognize them instantly. It's just so sad that we had to lose our beautiful boy to become aware of it.

I'm happy Mr. T is okay!!!!!

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Once they have bloated, they are more susceptible in the future. My old girl bloated at a dog show in Michigan years ago, when she was 10. She bloated and torsed but the vets were able to save her (thanks to a pro handler who missed his groups to put a tube down her). Her stomach was tacked as a precaution and, although she lived to be 17+, there were many times that she would swell up with gas. She never torsed again and I was always able to massage the gas out of her.

I am so glad to hear that Mr. T is OK! I would keep that gas medicine on hand and keep an eye on him in the future, just in case.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Wow. I didn't know Wheatens were a breed that usually bloated! So scary!

I am going to get some new gas x and simethicone (I have some but it's old)
Gunner is one who eats fast.

So glad your pup is OK. Bloat freaks me out! as I'm sure it does all of us here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the good info. The only thing different that Tangles did the night before was it sounded like he drank an excessive amount of water which is not like him and the vet said that maybe he got air in him then. Today is Thursday and Tangles is acting like his old self a it hard to believe what he had looked like on Monday. Everything is good and we have our eyes on him.
Thanks again for all the great post and info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So glad your pup is OK. Bloat freaks me out! as I'm sure it does all of us here.
He's what they call a wheatable, we believe that he might be mixed with a lab. He has more of a square head and he is larger and thicker that a wheaten and that is probably why this (bloat) had happened.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts

Deb... the Gas-X strips are great. You just stuff in their mouths and it dissolves instantly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am glad he is ok!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts