Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, she's still panting like mad, but she still seems happy! She had one accident this evening, but other than that she's been fine. She's drinking a ton of water so I think that it makes her have to go potty more than usual. On the way to pick up my daughter from school, she had to meet and greet all the bus drivers parked on the way to the school. She actually climbed up in the bus! We took her to the park and she was so good with all the kids there. She met my mom's dog and did well with her, she seems to like other dogs, met my neighbors dog too and got along well. She met almost all the kids in my daughters class. It's nice to have such a good natured dog! She sure doesn't nap much though! She's only taken 1 nap today, and she's had 4 walks! She should be really tired by now!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I'm sure she's just so over-stimulated right now with all of the new places and faces - she probably doesn't want to go to sleep and miss any of it ;) Give her a few days - and I bet she'll CRASH and sleep for a day!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here's another photo. She had a good day...got to go to a water festival my husband was working at, she hung out at his booth and got petted by all the passersby. She was a big draw to the booth! I got her 3 stuffed animals today as she keeps stealing my daughters stuffed animals from her room! She's so happy with her new stuffed animals she just walks around with them in her mouth wagging her tail like crazy! We left her for 2 1/2 hours today in the dining/kitchen area which we gated off, and so far she has done fine. We have to work up to at least 4 hours at a stretch by Monday, as we will be going back to work. We will have a friend come by and walk her during the middle of the day. Tomorrow we will meeting my friend who has her daughter, for a doggie play date (after we get our coffee)!:p:

Attachments

·
Amber's Owner
2,100 Posts
Here is a picture of one of Mika's puppies, Rhedd (on the left) who is 3 1/2, and Mika's mom, Brady, who is 12 years.
Well there was no picture attached but it doesn't matter. I think you deserver a good long rest... You have done such a good job with her but in order to continue you need to look afer the mistress, that is YOU!!

·
Amber's Owner
2,100 Posts
Well there was no picture attached but it doesn't matter. I think you deserver a good long rest... You have done such a good job with her but in order to continue you need to look afer the mistress, that is YOU!!
LOL!!! Just got your edited version with the photo!! Very sweet... Go and have a long rest MUM. You deserve it!!

God bless..

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
She is beautiful! I hope things just get better and better.

I've rescued/found/adopted four older golden or goldenXs in the last seven years.

The first one was reaaaaalllly old and absolutely no problem. I found him when I went fishing.

The next one was an owner release (she was losing her house) and he was my most adored heart dog.

The next guy came from a pound about an hour from my home. The lady there knew me and knew I had lost my dog so she called me on "Chance's" next to last day. He was scared of me for the first three months, but settled in and we were best buds.

The last of my golden rescues is Copper. He is in my siggy. The lady I got Chance
from called and asked me to take him. I said no - call the rescue group. He had already been at the pound for 4 - 6 weeks. the rescue group could not take him since he was older and dog aggressive and they thought maybe would bite people.
When she called and said they would put him down if he wasn't spoken for right then, I got him. He was and still is male dog aggressive (he wasn't neutered when I got him), but the vet techs argue over who gets to treat him since he will let them do ANYTHING to him and take it with a grin.

All of mine have settled in and gave me much joy and love. I hope you get the same from your girl. She sure looks happy to be "home".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
She's doing fair with the cats. If they stay in one place she leaves them alone, but if they run she tries to chase them. So far I have been able to grab her before she gets to them (not sure what she would do if she caught one) or the last time I just told her no as she started to get up to give chase, and I blocked her path. She stopped then. Tomorrow will be her first long day without us. She did 2 1/2 hours alone on Saturday, and she will have to go at least 8 hours with a break in between with the dog walker tomorrow and through Thursday.

We went on a 1 1/2 hour walk today with my best friend who has Mika's daughter, Sahara. They got along great and look so cute together! Sahara was shaved because of allegies and looks like a yellow lab with Mika's exact coloring (strawberry blonde on top, with cream feathers and tummy). I hope we can get the cat issues a little better soon. We have gates everywhere so she's blocked from chasing the cats in some areas of the house.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just an update..Mika has been doing wonderful! She has spent the last 3 days home alone in the kitchen/dining room area with no problems. We have had a dog walker come and walk her during the day. She seems to be settling in more. There are only a couple of issues, her eyes seem to tear up a lot and I have to wipe the mucus from her eyes a couple times a day. Her previous owner didn't have a problem with that, so I was wondering what may cause it. Also, she keeps stealing my daughters stuffed animals! She sleeps with them at night so they stay in her bed during the day. We have tried covering them up with the blankets, but she learned how to pull the blanket off of them! I bought her a bunch of stuffed animals of her own, to try and curb her appetite, but it doesn't seem to help. Has anyone had any luck teaching their dogs to leave certain items alone?

Other than that..she is SO wonderful! Sweet, loving, is SO good with the kids, and well mannered. She walks well on the leash, and we will be starting obedience with her soon. My daughter is going to do 4-h with her and show her at the fair!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That sounds wonderful she is fitting in so well. I dont know how to stop stealing your daughteres stuffies unless you can have your daughter put them on a shelf.

You might ask the vet for her eyes tearing except for it being yearly allergies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That sounds wonderful she is fitting in so well. I dont know how to stop stealing your daughteres stuffies unless you can have your daughter put them on a shelf.

You might ask the vet for her eyes tearing except for it being yearly allergies.
I got the bright idea to put the stuffies in a basket with a lid, to be stored on the desk at the times when my daughter Willow isn't in bed with them. Then she can pour them out of the basket onto her bed right before bedtime, then put them away again in the morning. I figured that it would be impossible to teach Mika to not steal certain stuffed animals that were not "hers". If there is a way, I'd like to hear it!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Can you babygate your daughter's room so Mika doesn't have access? You might want a vet check on her eyes; goldens are prone to a myriad of eye problems, and often inexpensive drops make a world of difference.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
She is beautiful. Thank you so much for taking in an older golden. I promise you that you will not regret it. :)

·
3 goldens
11,695 Posts
I agladeverything is working out for you and your beautiful girl.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts