Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kristen; Buddy's Human
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got Buddy (as new puppy owners) I knew in the back of my head the "two month" minimum rule - that is, the puppy must be at least two months so they had a chance to properly interact with littermates. Here in Japan they either have different rules or are much more lax with their rules (I saw a three-week golden at a store near my home and was told I could have it the following week if I wanted) and I was a little wary as I had seen Buddy at the store a month prior, but I figured since I'm not there 24-7 he could have been with his mother/siblings after hours.

It's been about a month and a half and I'm fairly positive Buddy didn't get his extra socialization :( He's doing fairly good so far but I don't know what sort of long-term effects this will have on him. Help?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
So Buddy was how old when you got him? How old is he now?

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
I wouldn't fret about it all that much unless you already see behavior issues forming. The lessons taught by the mother such as intensity of play and submissivness will be taught by you anyway. I'm sure all will be fine and just be vigilant of any issues forming. Yes puppies should never be removed that early from the litter, but every puppy is different. Watch the "Big Kahuna" do zoomies and you'll see what you have to look forward too.:D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I wouldn't fret about it all that much unless you already see behavior issues forming. The lessons taught by the mother such as intensity of play and submissivness will be taught by you anyway. I'm sure all will be fine and just be vigilant of any issues forming. Yes puppies should never be removed that early from the litter, but every puppy is different. Watch the "Big Kahuna" do zoomies and you'll see what you have to look forward too.:D
HAHA Kahuna is out like a light right now too ;) But he's absolutely right... Without the mother there to teach your pup "social etiquette" it's up to you (as it would have been had you gotten your pup at the proper age). Also, keep an eye on nutrition... If you got your pup at 4 weeks they missed out on vital mommy nutrients... Have you had your pup checked out by a vet yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts