Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar and I got attacked by a pit bull last night on our walk! The dog jumped over/through his front yard fence and came after us. Thank goodness Oscar has so much fur...he got bit on the butt and tail but no puncture wounds. I started screaming like a banshee while trying to kick the dog away from Oscar and finally someone came out of the house and was able to call the dog off. Poor Oscar wouldn't hurt a fly and this is the second time in as many weeks that we've had to fight off a loose dog. Luckily the outcome both times was ok.

I did report this to our County's Animal Control and they are supposed to be going out to the house this morning. You just can't have a big aggressive dog in a yard they can so easily get out of! And I wouldn't be able to live with myself if that dog got out again and hurt or killed someone. This was a big boy too...probably 70 pounds. It was only a 4' fence with this bamboo/straw fencing stuff attached to it to make it taller...the dog actually came through the straw part. It was terrifying to see a big head poke through the straw quickly followed by the whole dog flying through! Animal Control may have to quarantine the dog too because I have burns on my hand that are open and oozing and I got the dog's saliva all over me.

I actually feel sorry for the dog and blame the owners. There are three dogs in this yard and I get the impression they live out there in the dirt and most of the attention they get is being yelled at by the variety of people sitting on the porch drinking. Needless to say we are not walking that way again!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm glad you and Oscar are both ok. This must have been very scary!
When I was 16 I saw our 4 month old Jack Russell being attacked by a shorthaired pointer who had some serious behavioral issues. He almost bit right through him and needed surgery but luckily missed any organs. Still remember this.
When I walk Charlie there are two dogs on each Site of the route and it seems they are always out in the yard and barking at us even if we're still far away. I never actually walked passed them but I now Charlie is getting nervous and I don't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
So glad both you and Oscar are unharmed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
SO scary! Glad you are both all right. We once had a pit bull come into our yard and attack our dog while she and my husband were outside. It was early in the morning and I literally heard my DOG screaming. I run outside to see my Golden pinned to the ground by her neck by this dog and my husband kicking the dog to get him off. The dog's owner had the nerve to yell at my husband for kicking his dog. It wouldn't be polite to repeat my husbands response!

I agree with the other posters. I wish people would be responsible and in control of their pets!

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is so scary, lucky the owner came out and was able to call the dog off or you both could of been hurt. Some dog owners are so irresponsible!!

·
3 goldens
11,704 Posts
A few months before Buck died, just about the time he turned 12, hubby was walking and a pit came from nowhere right for Buck. Hubby got between him and Buyck and he paid no attention ot hubby than he would to the wind. Owner was in yard and came running and grabbed the dog, sayng he didn't know how he got out and all the while the dog was still snarling and lunging at Buck. After that hubby alwasy carried a large stick wewhen he walked Buck--but I wouldn't walk any of them becaue to get off our horse shoeshaped street--with no sidestreets, either end we came out on was in clear view of that yard and if the dog was out, well, I just didn't think I could handle it. However, they did move a short later.

About 10 years ago I use to walk 4 miles a day and someones took one of the dogs with me. We had to pass this one yard where a rottie was chained to a tree. There were no houses, only woods on the other side of the road( a black top road). Well that rottie would run so hard to the end of thechain he would actually be yanked off his feet. If I didn't have one of the dogs with me he just liad there. After a few times I stopped walking tht way when I had one of the dogs, to scared he would break the chain or collar. I suspect he got very little ttention.

So glad you and your boy are safe and I know how scarey tht was.

·
I miss you Macintosh
137 Posts
Glad all is well through that. Had a pit bull try to attack Macintosh a few years ago at the dog park but he was a smart dog waited for him to advance the grabbed him by the throat and held him down didn't growl or try to hurt him just held him till his owner came to get him all I had to do was grab his collar and he let go. The owner of the pit bull tried to blame Mac for the issue but he was playing with 2 other dogs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
WOW!:mad: That is so scary! How can people have a dog like that and not be sure it is contained in the yard is beyond me! I am so glad you and the dog are ok. Those people should get a fine----:mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have to say I am very impressed with our County's Animal Control. Yesterday an officer showed up at my house to check on Oscar and to see the burn wounds I have on my hand to confirm that I did in fact have open wounds that provided a potential point of entry for rabies. She was on her way to the other dog's house to take the dog and do a 10 day rabies quaratine, as well as possibly cite the owners once she saw the fence. I was impressed with the follow through! Someone is supposed to call me tomorrow with details about whether or not the owner could provide rabies certificates. I'm scared of retaliation, so hopefully I can also find out how the owners reacted when Animal Control showed up. For a while we're going to walk on trails and not the road. I don't want these people to see us and possible do something to us if they're mad.

On a "golden" note, when we were on the porch talking to the officer, Oscar sat calmy and after a few minutes, offered the officer his paw. He loooves to shake hands. It was really sweet and I think it really sent the message home that Oscar is not an aggressive dog and was an innocent victim!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts