Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much persistence and work (and the help of people on the thread) I got the most food driven pup to wait for her treat...

Koda 17 weeks trick.jpg

I love this girl so much! :)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
yay! congrats!

I love how they stare at the treat .... as if it's going to jump off their paw!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the tip from another member of the forum but we started by making her wait for her food by not letting her have her food until she sat and waited. Once she understood what wait was we started doing wait with a treat in front of her and slowly got it closer and closer till we got it on her paw.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's great! We taught Ozzy that too and in our obedience class the other day the trainer had us working on having the dog "wait" as a door opened and we walked out first. She was SO impressed with how quick he got it and when we explained he knows that command she couldn't believe he would wait for his food and treats (especially because like yours, Ozzy is SO food motivated). Gotta love our smarty pants Goldens!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Omg too cute! I have been trying to work on that with Max, it only works if I hold the treat. Now I'm motivated because that picture is sooo cute.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congratulations! It is fun, isn't it?

I learned through a video (a Brazilian trainer, Alexandre Rossi) on youtube. I like to put the kibbles on the floor as I count them and make trails or figures. The bad side: slobbery floor!

I found out the command works for other things too! It works as a stay for the mouth, in which Kelly is better than a real stay. Go figure!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd say give it a try! My pup mastered this trick in about 15 minutes and he is VERY food motivated! Heaven only knows why this one clicked so well, I've been working on OFF (for the counters) about 800 times a day to no avail. Well, I take that back- he'll get off, but then he jumps right back up again! Ay yay yay!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts