Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
LOL

Good luck! Seriously, once they experience it, it's very hard to keep them out. Jenny, our older golden(age 13) still swims. She actually will go to the bottom of the pool to retrieve things. It's real important to keep the ears clean and dry. The ear flaps hold moisture in. Those nasty ear problems are commonly caused by "wet" ears.

Fran

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good advice FranH. Ear problems can really be a pain in the um - ear.

Goldens are usually very easy to train and are typically very obediant. You should be able to keep your dog away from the water. But they love it soooooooo much.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bath...

I had just given her a bath to take her to my parents house. As soon as we got back she jumped right in the lake. She just learned she could swim yesterday!

Nobody threw a stick in the water...she just took a quick 10 sec swim!

So much for the nice bath!:rolleyes:

Thanks yall for the info! I really appreciate it!;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Goldens and water go together like.......gosh, water and goldens I guess!!!

While we don't have a lake or anything nearby, I remember having a 'swimming pool' in the kitchen a few times caused by Jessie 'digging' in her water bowl! She'd dig, and dig, and dig, all the water would be on the floor, and the water bowl empty!

And she'd look up at you with the, "Well, hey, whats a dog gotta do to get a drink of water around here eh?" look!!! LOL

So you'd fill it up, and again she'd dig!!!!

Now I have one of those wide bottomed squat buckets, and touch wood, while there are times I have a few puddles on the floor, they are no where near as bad as the old swimming pools of old. Now that I have Jessie, as well as Shadow, at least I know there's drinking water for them now!

Same goes for their water bucket under the house......they will both plunge their feet in it, or throw in a rock or toy, and then 'dig' for it, to retrieve it.

While I'd yell at the kids if they made puddles like that, all I can do with Jessie and Shadow is stand there, laugh, shake my head, and fill up the buckets again!!!

·
One of the first members!
48 Posts
Aimé too!

We have a swimming pool at home, and we never told Aimé not to swim, so of course she does so regularly, even in winter. SHE has located the place where she keeps her puppies very near, so she can swim and come back to them immediately. The problem is now that the pups get wet too because she returns to them all wet. Fortunately the weather in Mallorca is very mild these days, or else the poor pups would freeze if I'm not near to dry them. I found some of them, the fattest ones, had problems in their navels, because it seems as if the dampness does not allow the cicatrization. :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
what are some ways to keep their eyes clean and dry after they've gone for a swim? I read in books to clean their ears every so often with cotton balls, does that work after they go for a swim?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find this very funny:

This was listed under DISADVANTAGES OF OWNING A GOLDEN RETRIEVER:
Golden Retrievers love water, and will go out of their way to get wet and muddy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only way to do it is to have them on a lead or to have spent many hours training them to listen to your commands.. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess obedience school is the next option.

What about eating the fish? I can't keep her away from the fish. She chews on them constantly. Will this hurt her in any way? I get them away from her as soon as I see her with one in her mouth but it is a constant chore.

I sure didn't realize what a responsibility this was going to be...:eek: !

I am sure of this...between the dog and the kids, I will sure be crazy soon!!!;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know a woman whose Golden catches fish and eats them quite regularly.

If Clancy sees water, and that includes the muddiest puddle you can imagine, he will go in it.

Here he is helping me do some landscaping. He gets hosed down a lot during the summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, maybe she isn't crazy after all. I just didn't realize dogs liked to eat fish. I knew I was feeding her enough...I guess it is just a Golden thing.:eek:

I am sure now that these weekly baths are going to stop. There is no way to keep her out of the lake. One good thing about having her is I know that she is going to keep the Canadian geese out of the yard!!!:D No more messes from them!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Make sure he is not eating Salmonids, trout, salmon, etc...
They carry a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola which is a vector for Neorickettsia helminthoeca... a rickettsial organism which causes severe life-threatening infections in dogs.
"Salmon poisoning" can be fatal if left untreated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we live in Tennessee (United States). No salmon here!;) We do have trout, but only in the rivers.

Thanks for all yalls help!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Timberwolfe - LOVE THE PICTURE!

·
Registered
187 Posts
A short answer to the question is NO!!!
All of my Goldens love water, some swim more than others but they all love being WET and preferably muddy.:eek:
Our oldest dog [15] still loves to swim and will head for any amount of water. The younger two have taken to wallowing in any standing water getting as wet and dirty as possible.
The funny thing is NONE of them like being bathed. OK, they cooperate and dont make a fuss, but they all hate that soapy experience!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Our vet has told me that to get Mojo's ear clean we should use a cotton ball with a little mineral oil on it. The wax will stick to the oil and come out easy. I keep the hair trimmed around the inside of the ears so the heat doesn't become a problem and cause infections and I also thin the hair on the top and around the ears (especially in the summer). This is how goldens are done for the ring and it looks a lot cleaner and cooler for them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Millie and Daisy do this too! Preferably in dirty water. I take them to the brook on the way home after walks to wash the mud off- they enjoy that much more than being washed at home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts