Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how early can you introduce them to water? my mother in law has an inground pool that we spend a great deal of time at and since the puppy will be with us when can/should we let him get in?

tia

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've known Golden pups who swam at a very young age. 12 weeks or so. Others won't enter the water until they are ready, which could be over a year. Let the puppy decide. Don't force him, and make it fun for him if he does go in. I've heard that some dogs won't swim in pools at first. Something to do with being able to see the bottom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timberwolfe- LOL you are my saviour today!
we wont force the little guy to get in, I just dont want him to get sick from being in a chlorinated pool and him possibly being so young. i think ill wait until the end of the summer to introduce him to the pool with tossing a toy or something unless he chooses to get in on the steps himself.

Thanks again!
i have so many questions, and im sure they may seem stupid. ive read a few books about the breed from the library and am going to get thedummies guide for GR's and read that too.

Thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Once you introduce it to the water...she will not want to get out! I kind of wished I would not have introduced our LuLu to water at such an early age...less than 3 months old...now we can't keep her out of it! :eek:

If is fun to watch them in the water though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the dog is nervous, don't drag them in. My family is introducing Maple to water through a large kiddie pool first, before the real pool. But as soon as they are in, you can't get them out. Our other dog :eek: FREAKS:eek: when we go swimming without her.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Rockin Nerd, that is a good idea. In fact we did that, use a Kiddy's Pool, but only because we don't have a pool.

I swear Clancy never dries out in the summer. If there is water, he will find it. LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last summer we had a in ground pool built for my goldens!!! :) They ALL love it except for..........Dakota.....he hates the water. We don't use chlorine in the pool and have to have someone come out to care for it.

Just a reminder: Dry out our goldens ears after swimming!! We don't want any of those NASTY ear infections!!! :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Both of our little ones have been swimming for about two weeks now. We have a 2 acre pond in our back yard about 100 yds. from the house. At 10 weeks they got away from us one early Saturday morning and we found them having the time of their lives jumping and splashing in the pond.

Our little girl already seems to understand that we are the alpha dogs and she is very obedient already. She comes out of the water as soon as she hears us call. But Boudreaux is another animal all together. He swims to the other side and hides in the weeds. Usually, he will run the other way whenever he's called. Obedience school can't come soon enough for that little guy.

We're also considering an electronic fence but they're pretty young for that right now. What are 'yall's thoughts on the electronic fences for puppies?

·
Registered
187 Posts
All my dogs love water, Penny [age 15] will still get wet at every opertunity and swam in the sea at Easter. Millie and Daisy both went in the sea at 12 weeks for a paddle. Daisy is the better swimmer, Millie likes to kep her feet on the bottom while getting wet all over. If they are hot they will roll in the brook on the way home from walks [its not deep enough for swimming].

I must admit Idont know how clorine in a swimming pool would afect a dog...:uhoh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts