Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else's golden obsessed with water? What are your thoughts on doggy life vests?

We started introducing Sable to the lake when we got her last summer, and this summer she doesn't want to come out. Boats can be on the water from 11-7, and as soon as quiet time is up and she hears the boat motors start she's whining by the slider to go swimming. We bought her a Frisbee and between that and swimming with the kiddos she's in the lake for hours. The attached picture is her anxiously awaiting her Frisbee to be thrown back into the lake to fetch.

We also have a couple of apple trees and a cherry tree in our yard, and it's so much fun to sneak apples in the house and toss them around and eat them. Thankfully no cherries have been snuck in the house!

Attachments

·
Chester's mom
516 Posts
Sable is so pretty! I was actually thinking about getting Winchester a life jacket as well... I just don't know if it's a common thing or not? And where to get one? etc.
But I do feel like he gets really carried away with swimming, he loves it so much I'm afraid he doesn't know when his little body is too tired.
When he was a baby he used to love playing with apples as well in the breeders yard I guess theyre like the tennis balls of nature haha.

Does Sable make a wooing sound? She kind of looks like shes doing it in that photo.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lucy adores the water, she goes in the sea to get her tennis ball and comes back out so she only goes in as far as I can throw the ball!
Her favourite treat of all time is granny smith apples, she gets one everyday and her tail goes crazy when she hears the word apple! They are great breath fresheners too!! She also loves loves loves blueberries. My husband dropped a packet on the ground today and I've never seen her move so fast:lol:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just a note that you should not let the dog eat the seeds as they contain cyanide, which is a toxic substance. The apple itself is fine. Regarding cherries - Stems, leaves, seeds also contain cyanide, particularly toxic in the process of wilting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just a note that you should not let the dog eat the seeds as they contain cyanide, which is a toxic substance. The apple itself is fine. Regarding cherries - Stems, leaves, seeds also contain cyanide, particularly toxic in the process of wilting.
I always core the apples before I give them to her, when she sees me take the corer out of the drawer all of a sudden she is on her best behaviour;)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
You can buy life vests on Amazon - I got an Outward Hound one for Noah that we'll be using in a few weeks when we go to NC for a week and hang out at the lake for the first time. I got the Outward Hound vs a more expensive highly rated one because he'll probably only use this one for that week, and by next summer he'll have outgrown it and then I'll invest in the more expensive one for his permanent one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, it's amazing how they're on their best behavior when food/treats come out :)

I believe she was giving her pre-bark warning in this picture? She will kind of give a warning low chest sound, and if she doesn't get what she wants the bark is next. In this case she was anxiously awaiting her frisbee to be thrown back in the water.

I've never used a life vest before and my last golden only preferred to walk around where she could touch and get her belly wet. So this is new territory for us. My hubby doesn't feel that it's needed, but our girl is the same way where she'll just keep going especially if our niece and nephew are swimming with her. So for now we try to watch her and make her come out when we can tell she's slowing down to take a break.

Thanks for the info on the seeds! I never knew that before. She manages to gobble the apples up rather quickly so we don't get a chance to cut them up for her. She loves to toss them around almost like she's playing catch with herself :)

Speaking of the warning rumble... we went out for dinner last week and brought her with so we sat in the outdoor patio area. It wasn't real busy and a family walked by but didn't pet her as they were waiting to cross the street and I heard the warning rumble and quickly said her name to get her attention off the family so she didn't bark at them. The family did pet her and Sable was so happy, the little stinker! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts