Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today Vito and I went to the soccer field next to our house. There was a 10 month old Shiba Inu there. Vito and the Shiba have met before (about 1 month ago) and got along fine.

They were chasing each other and having fun when the Shiba began to mount Vito repeatedly, and jump on his body and face. Vito let it go and just ran away. I told the dog's owner that Vito would let her dog know when he had enough (he doesn't like being humped) and she said that was fine, and her dog needed to learn.

Anyway, after continuing mounting and jumping Vito turned around and gave him a 'knock it off' warning. It worked for a minute and they continued chasing each other. Then the dog started up again so we were getting ready to leave. Vito was saying hello to another dog when the Shiba jumped on him again. This time, Vito turned around and nailed him into the ground. We were right next to him and grabbed him. The other owner didn't seem concerned, but it bothered me and still is. Obviously, we left.

So was Vito out of line?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Not at all! I think he did just what he needed to do. He gave the other dog plenty of warning signals to back off, but the other dog just didn't get it. It sounds like Vito put up with it for quite a while until he finally got fed up and felt the need to tell the other dog "ENOUGH!!!"

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I couldn't agree more...the other dog was being rude and your dog did give a warning. Vito probably did the other dog a favor - taught him some manners!!!

Pete

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Vito sounds very patient to me. It's not like the other dog wasn't warned enough. Sheesh. I'm sure the Shiba got the point. No worries.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I think Vito was perfectly in line, and its good the owner realized that her dog needed some manners. Vito did just what he should have.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It's always a bit of a shock when your dog tells another off, but sometimes other dogs don't get the subtle messages.

My old retriever Spud once kept pinning a young dog we came across whilst on a walk. It was constantly in his face and wouldn't take the hint. The owner wanted my dog to tell his, and funnily enough he didn't harm the other dog, just pinned him, growled in his face, and only let him up when he decided.

The dog eventually got the message.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Absolutely not out of line! He was a good sport at first, then gave a warning, and when it was ignored he told him off! Perfect doggie manners for Vito boy.. not so much for the Shiba.. but maybe now he'll think twice about being such a pest to Vito at the dog park lol

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Shiba and Vito were interacting for about 25 min. before Vito just had enough.

The owner was great though, and was thankful in a weird kind of way, LOL. I guess older dogs didn't put up with the behavior either.

I was talking with an older lady through a chain link fence who was walking her dog. This is the dog Vito was saying hi to (noses through the fence) right before the incident with the Shiba. It was an adorable young black shepherd. She saw Vito pin the Shiba down and made some comment about Vito and how she was definitely not going to come to the park now and ran away. I guess that's what bothered me the most.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
That's too bad... just totally taken out of context. I agree that if Vito pinned a dog that just approached him out of nowhere that it would be out of line, but in the whole context of the day there, he definitely behaved appropriately.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Yay for Vito :)

I'm not too fond of shibas. We have one across the street that sometimes escapes and comes over here to attack Daisy. Dumb dog. One time a couple years back I watched Daisy nail this shiba to the ground (after the shiba attacked), she had her pinned at the neck, both of them completely still. After I broke it up, the shiba went crying home -- LOL. It scared me, no desire to see that again ... but I have to admit I was a bit in awe of Daisy, how she was able to so quickly get complete control of that little brat.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Not in the least. Vito was just doing what any other dog would do. If Vito had pinned the dog without a prior warning and really tried to inflict damage that might be another story by it sounds like he played by the "Dog Rule Book".

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
GOOD! That's one fewer person hanging out at dog parks that hasn't got a CLUE about proper dog behavior ! Vito probably did EVERYONE at the park a favor, LOL!
He was not out of line at all. He reacted in a normal, expected way from a dog with a sound temperament.

I was talking with an older lady through a chain link fence who was walking her dog. This is the dog Vito was saying hi to (noses through the fence) right before the incident with the Shiba. It was an adorable young black shepherd. She saw Vito pin the Shiba down and made some comment about Vito and how she was definitely not going to come to the park now and ran away. I guess that's what bothered me the most.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I agree-assuming no blood was shed :) , Vito acted appropriately. He gave several warnings, and took appropriate action when warranted.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone has made me feel SO much better.:--heart:
Now that I've had some time to reflect back, you guys are right. The Shiba should have layed off.

We will just keep a look out and avoid going there if that dog is. I really make an effort to observe the dogs and feel comfortable before I let Vito off to play. Since it is a private field there is rarely more than 2 or 3 dogs, which is nice. Even better when nobody is there. :)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh and no- no blood shed. :) The Shiba got right back up and ran off. The dog is super vocal though and let out one mean scream.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Vito handled it perfect. Sounds like the Shiba needs to learn some manners. Pin to the ground is dog speak for 'get off and stay off'.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Funny story right along this same path. I was at the dog park one evening with a friend and his 13 month old Newfie, which was at least 100 lbs by then, Homer. Homer was sitting by his owners side and a GSD came up (his owner was right there watching) and got in his face and then ran away. That was 1. Then the GSD came back to Homer and did it again, that was 2. Happened again, that was 3. The entire time Homer just sat there taking it. Finally on the 4th go around, the GSD comes up to get in Homer's face, and Homer just lifted up one of his big old paws and just flattened the GSD to the ground. The GSD is whinning and carrying on. Homer is just standing over him with his paw pinning him to the ground. Homer's owner then told Homer - that's enough, let him go. Homer obeyed. I actually started laughing. The GSD's owner actually had the good sense to apologize to Homer. From that point on, the GSD never gave Homer any trouble again.

Vito acted just as he should have!

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Vito wasn't out of line - but - and apologies for the frank nature of this comment - why the hell did you put him in a position where he had to take care of the problem himself? You know he doesn't like that behavior (and even if he did) why did you let this go on so long that he had to take action? Be your dog's advocate - this wasn't a pack member that you needed to socialize - this was a stranger's pain in the a$$ dog - you don't owe their dog or them anything.

And then you corrected Vito by grabbing him after he finally had enough of the rude behavior and pinned the other dog? You corrected him for responding to a problem that you didn't solve for him. I think you're taking your dog's good temperament for granted, what if the Shiba responded to the correction with aggression? What if Vito responded to the aggression with more aggression?
Erica

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
No, he wasn't out of line.

I'll let my dogs give an initial knock it off warning. If they STILL get pestered by the same dog, I usually step in and interrupt the pestering dog and/or prevent it from getting to my own dogs. I personally don't want my dogs to have to keep dosing out the smack down over and over and I think in some dogs, it leads to an overall shortened fuse for that kind of behavior, which = an unwanted behavior change in my dogs, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts