Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanting to share this news with all to protect our beloved pets. Even though I have been a dog owner for many years I was not aware of this issue until it was on the news this week. We all know that some things like chocolate are poison to dogs but did you know that sugar free gum is also deadly too. Some vets don't even know about it! When a dog ingests sugar free gum made with Xylitol, a popular sweetner, it causes a bunch of insulin to be released. It mimics real sugar so their bodies release alot of insulin to use up the sugar, which can cause them to get very hypoglycemic. Xylitol can lead to liver failer in dogs, and if untreated, it can be fatal.
Xylitol, a sugar substitute, is in everything from baked goods to chewing gum, but only recently has it become popular in the U.S., which is why most dog owners and vets have never heard of it.
If a dog gets into sugarless gum,the Animal Poison Control Center says don't wait get to an emergancy vet and be prepared to tell them it's Xylitol-related.
Please share this information with all of your dog loving friends as we loose our pets to fast already and I would hate to think that someone I know would loose their dog because they were not aware of this danger.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I thought there was a Sticky about this a few years ago but it disappeared??

Yes, it's true, and be careful...some dog pharmaceutical companies add xylitol to products like dental drinking water (shame on Virbac!!!!).

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
There were threads on this issue, but always good to revisit such an important topic. Xylitol is deadly in fairly small doses. We've banned sugar free gum from our house and cars. DH is a diabetic so it was common for it to be around. However, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Of course I read this a week AFTER Joy ate Bubble Yum... :)

She was fine, but it may have been sugared gum.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Xylitol is not just in gum that is the worst part. A lot of vets even will prescribe OTC pediatric medicines for dogs. YOU MUST READ THE LABELS!!!! Many pediatric medicines have been flavored with Xylitol.

However that being said...my girl friend has a big goofy yellow lab that has eaten MANY a pack of sugar free gum with Xylitol and is perfectly fine. Why we have NO idea. She does put it in things he should not be able to get to, but he always manages. This dog will do anything for food. He can open a zipped purse, a console in a car, you name it. She did have his liver checked recently and it is fine. So... not saying it is not dangerous it is VERY dangerous, but if your dog gets into it, don't go into panic mode just get looked at.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the thread I was thinking about: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-health-anatomy-physiology-breed-standard/93822-warning.html

Is it possible for the MODS to perhaps add xylitol or gum to the title and make this a sticky?
Thank Dallas Gold for the old site. It does a much better job of explaining how much and other items that also use xylitol. I was not aware that this had already been visited in a previous thread but always good to bring things up to refresh the issue for newbies.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Thank Dallas Gold for the old site. It does a much better job of explaining how much and other items that also use xylitol. I was not aware that this had already been visited in a previous thread but always good to bring things up to refresh the issue for newbies.
It's always good to remind about this and that's why I hope the MODS will consider making it a sticky because it is such a risk for our dogs.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
My trainer told me about this. She said as soon as it happens to induce vomiting with peroxide. it will buy you time to get to the e-vet because it can kill the dog so quickly..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts