Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my New Year's resolution I've been reworking the family budget especially since we are adding to the family (and found out just how much day care is going to cost!). I have discovered that we're going to be a bit tight for about 6 months when day care starts and I still have 6 months left to pay on my school loans (woohoo less than a year left!!!). Not cancel the cable kinda tight, just being careful with what unplanned for stuff we buy. I thought it would be a fantastic idea to stock up on non-perishable expendables now while we've got "extra" money. I haven't been a member of a warehouse store before and was wondering if it might not be worth while since I'm going to purchase relatively large quantities of things like toilet paper, shampoo, even some food items. For those of you that use them, are they worth it? We have a couple of Sam's Clubs nearby and a Costco (not quite so close, but close enough), which do you like better?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We recently joined Costco, but have shopped at Sam's forever. You do save a TON on staples ( great for diapers, wipes too). We've only been to Costco once and their selection is a little different so I'm sure we'll be alternating. I would greatly suggest shopping at either. We save alot now as empty nesters but when we had 2 boys at home, I can't imagine how I would have done it otherwise.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
We buy from Sams for the bulk stuff like toilet tissue, paper towels, and the fresh hamburger, chicken and pork in bulk packages is a better price than the grocery store. We buy a lot, package in ziplock freezer bags and put it in the upright freezer. Canned or large bags of frozen vegetables, and bulk bags or boxes of rice and pasta are good prices too, and I like to get cereal there, the boxes have two bags of cereal in them.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just looking at the membership costs and realized that the clinic has a business account (I think it's a business acct. anyway), so I might be able to get an add-on membership for nothing! I'll have to ask tomorrow.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Sarah, another big advantage with stocking up at Sam's/Costco is just the fact that you'll be saving the amount of time you're carting baby around shopping. SO nice to have that huge supply of TP, paper towel, cereal, kleenex, diapers etc. and not be running to the store all the time.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We have Costco and love it. They have everything. We buy all laundry stuff, paper products, canned food, etc. We also buy tires, appliances, plants in the summer, gas, christmas tree, the list goes on and on. They also have a fabulous return policy.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
If you want to buy bulk meat and freeze it, invest in one of the gadgets that pull the air out and keep it from getting freezer burned. Sorry, it's late and I can't think of what they're called. Also, look for coupons online and print them out. You would be surprised at how much you can save.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to buy bulk meat and freeze it, invest in one of the gadgets that pull the air out and keep it from getting freezer burned. Sorry, it's late and I can't think of what they're called. Also, look for coupons online and print them out. You would be surprised at how much you can save.
Luckily most of our meat is accounted for. I raised 200 chickens this past spring and it looks like it's going to last WAY longer than I had thought (I had figured a year). And my folks by 1/2 a cow every year, so we have lots of beef. I have a FoodSaver and LOVE it. All my chicken is vac sealed so I'm not worried about it getting freezer burned.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
We have a Costco membership and use it fairly frequently, just the Gold Star. We've never spent enough to break even and justify upgrading to the Executive membership (and getting the 2% cash back), but you might.

Costco sends out a "coupon" book every 2-3 months. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is that 6-8 weeks before the coupon time period many of the items featured in the "coupon" book suddenly increase in price. So your $2.00 off coupon is now really $.50 off. Then 6-8 weeks after the "coupons" expire, the prices float back to where they were before. I've asked them about it and was told that prices fluctuate based on what they've paid suppliers.

I think, as someone else mentioned, it comes down to your time and also brand preference. I have a friend who's totally given up their warehouse membership in favor of heavy couponing (they have 3 papers tossed on Sundays).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You raised 200 chickens? Having never done it that's sounds like ALOT of work. You had a garden too right? And you train your dogs and have a successful career. This motherhood thing is going to be a piece of cake for you :)

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
You raised 200 chickens? Having never done it that's sounds like ALOT of work. You had a garden too right? And you train your dogs and have a successful career. This motherhood thing is going to be a piece of cake for you :)
The 200 chickens caught my eye too! I think I need organizational tips!! <getting a pen handy>

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've had to stop twice going home to let chickens cross the road.. who lets chickens just roam the streets? lol You know you live out in the middle of no where when you have to let chickens cross....

I've thought about doing this as well but my closest "bulk" store is probably 45 min away. But then again the only thing "close" to me for food is 15ish min away and prices are really high! May be worth it..

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
We belong to BJ's and spend enough to get back what our membership costs each year. One thing I've learned is to check prices carefully - you can buy in bulk, yes, but it doesn't always come out to a per unit savings. However, if you're into couponing, BJ's will take more than one coupon per item, which can add up to significant savings.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I have Sams and Costco memberships--Sams close, Costco miles away.

In my personal opinion Costco is superior, far superior in terms of product quality, especially when it comes to produce. My Costco produce lasts twice as long as the Sams stuff and is tastier as well. They have some quality standards that Sams just doesn't have (read about it in Consumer Reports a few months ago). Even Consumer Reports rates Costco as a best value over Walmart/Sams.

The store atmosphere and employee attitude is much better at Costco- the corporation treats the employees so much better than Walmart/Sams, and it shows.

I considered dropping my Sams membership, but we decided to keep it one more year because it is so much closer. I only wish Costco would open a store in my part of town so I could drop the Sams membership.

We stock up on Keurig K cups, paper towels, toilet paper and shampoo at Costco, as well. I also buy the Kirkland brand of Greek Yogurt, and the frozen fruit (peaches, strawberries, blueberries). They used to carry my favorite veggie burgers there but stopped it for some reason. :( We've also gotten some things for our home construction projects through the special orders--bathroom fixtures, corian top for the top of my swimming spa pool, and some other things so we got the executive membership. Hubby went crazy replacing all of our old light bulbs with the LED lights they sell at discounted prices (over Home Depot). We used it a lot last year with the home projects and received $200 back. You can also get a Costco American Express and get cash back but we don't want additional credit cards so we declined.

I'm pretty sure they have good deals on diapers at both stores, but the Costco toy area at Christmas is pretty cool--even the adult kids found stuff there last Christmas (remote control helicopters!).;)

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
We had a Sam's Membership for 2 years and recently switched to Costco. It is just my husband and I. I find that it really depends on the items you're buying if you're really getting a good deal. Know the "BEST" price you can get for your regular items. Sometimes I can get a better deal with a coupon when it is on sale at the grocery store. So, I pick and choose what I buy at Costco. You'll have to price out the diapers you'll use and see what the cost per diaper ends up being at Costco vs. Target with a coupon. Sometimes it will surprise you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
We don't belong to a warehouse store but I am all about saving $$ when we can. I have had very good luck with coupons. It takes a little time but you can really save a lot of money if you use coupons at stores that double coupons and use them when the item is on sale. You can also use a store coupon along with a manufacturers coupon on the same item. And...I only but items I need and use. I have a preety good stockpile of cereal (all healthy), canned beans, salad dressings, frozen veggies, paper towels, shampoos, dish soap, etc. I save diaper and baby food coupons for my sister. Good luck and congratulations!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We had a Sam's Membership for 2 years and recently switched to Costco. It is just my husband and I. I find that it really depends on the items you're buying if you're really getting a good deal. Know the "BEST" price you can get for your regular items. Sometimes I can get a better deal with a coupon when it is on sale at the grocery store. So, I pick and choose what I buy at Costco. You'll have to price out the diapers you'll use and see what the cost per diaper ends up being at Costco vs. Target with a coupon. Sometimes it will surprise you.
Along those lines, I am no longer buying things like ketchup or salsa at warehouse stores, simply because they come in huge containers and they go bad in the refrigerator before I can finish them. I'd rather save refrigerator space and be sure I get something in a size I can safely use before it expires.

By the way, for after your delivery--Costco is the largest wine distributor in the country--they have a great selection.

The Kirkland nut selection is excellent as well--love the dry roasted cashews!

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
We have both Sams and Costco memberships. I prefer Costco. I save lots ...especially on cheese, produce, eggs, wine, meat. The Kirklands brand in my opinion is equal to the name brand counterparts.

The downside is all of the impulse items that I usually purchase. But hey.....who wouldn't love dark chocolate coated pomegranates....lol

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,701 Posts
We're Sam's Club Memebers, have been for many many years. My husband use to have a retail business and purchased a lot of items for resale from Sam's. I use to be an Outside Marketing Rep for Sams, sold and handled Business and Corporate Memberships for them.

We don't have Costcos here on the Coast and the closet Sam's is 25 miles one way, so when we go, we make it worth our while. We stock up on household paper products, canned goods, laundry detergent, that kind of stuff. When my son was still living at home, I bought a lot of the larger size items such as cereal, fruit snacks, cases of Gatorade, etc. If I bought these items at the grocery, he'd go through all of it in a day or two.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have not renewed my membership this year. Right now I think I am doing better by buying 1/4 of a cow directly from the farmer, shopping at Aldi's, and Walmart.

... but when my kids were babies, buying the formula, diapers, wipes, diaper cream and breakfast cereal was a big savings.

Another way I have saved big this past year is making my own laundry detergent. I use the duggar's recipe. It made me about 10 months worth for under $5. I think I saved about almost $200.

Does your office have a flexible savings accout (FSA) for daycare? I was able to have $5,000 taken out of my check a year before taxes to reimburse my daycare expenses, that saved me $1600.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts