Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New to Golden Land :)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have been researching RAW feeding for a while now --- and I know I want to make the switch. So we brought home our golden puppy last week and I think I am ready ---- I however and a little nervous about what to actually feed him since he is just a baby. From what I am ready starting him out on chicken legs might be a good idea or a couple chicken wings....any advice. What about whole fish for a meal -- and as far as a puppy (he weighs 12.2lbs) is a chicken leg enough food for one meal? I am looking for possibly like a meal plan. I do not plan on using the "BARF" method which incorporates grains, and veggies. I also do not think I will be using any supplements. Any info that you can give will help --- also if anyone feeds their cats raw I would like to also feed my 10 week old kitten raw and have no clue where to begin.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hello Abs. I have just been looking at your other post and you have a lovely puppy. Do you know what sort of diet he was fed by the breeder - from how he looks it seemed to suit him?
I don't feed raw food, although I can understand why people do and my dogs do get the odd raw bits and pieces. The "prey" type of diet you are wanting to rear your puppy on will need to include the "whole" animal, including internal organs, fur, bones etc. I would not think "prepared" raw like chicken leg would contain enough of the nurients and vitamins your pup will need. A good variety of "whole" raw food will need to be available to him and I think whole (uncleaned) fish could be a good addition. I believe dogs fed like this and wild canids need to consume the stomach contents (which will contain vegetable matter) as well as the other internal bits and pieces. Raw green tripe is good, but the smell is unbelievable.
From what I understand cats are a bit different in their nutritional needs - they do not need quite the same diet as a dog.
What you are wanting to do is very interesting. I don't think I would be completely happy or confident doing it, and I hope others who are doing it successfully with their puppies will come along soon with good ideas to help you. Best wishes.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! I have been doing alot of reading on this particular subject and you are right in that the prey model does mainly use the entire animal --- which would not be available to me at our current location other than a chicken or hen. I think I could potentially and successfully do a raw diet with eggs. Not completely prey --- so I could get away with using chickens and pork from the grocery store. I am going to research it alot more and wait a little while before I dive in. I have been too nervous about doing this because I want to make sure I am feeding enough. To answer your question the breeder just had him on dry kibble...nothing to fancy. I want to switch because of the health benefits and I just think it makes sense phisiologically. I hope I get some good responses on here!! Thank you again for yours!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Just for clarification:
Whole prey=whole animal with fur and intestines
Prey model=parts from different animals that make up the proportions found in a whole animal (usually minus fur/feathers/intestines)

I have fed two puppies raw from the get-go (both were previously kibble fed). Here's what I did for the last one:

First get an estimate of expected adult size. I expected my girl to be 60#. I then figured what 2% of that expected weight was (19.2oz). That was what I expected to feed her per day. To be honest, after my experience with her, I probably will start feeding less and increase as needed since she only ended up at 46-48# adult weight and got a little pudgy as a puppy. Also I don't think little pups can eat all that much at once (depends on the pup). I'll probably start my next one at around 12 ounces per day for a week or two and bump up to 15-16 ounces if she seems hungry. So, having said all that, I would come up with meals that weigh 3-4 ounces each so I can feed 3-4 meals per day when tiny and just add a meal if needed.

Then you need to look at proportions/percentages. Here is what I like to feed:

Muscle Meat: ~60%
Bone: ~15%*
Organs: ~15%
Eggs: ~5%
Tripe: ~5%

*The bony stuff I chose to fed was mostly chicken wings, poultry necks, with some other thrown in. The average bone percentage that I figured for what I was feeding was about 30%, so to make that equal to ~15% bone, I fed about 50% RMBs.

Here's another way of looking at it (per ounce):

Per WEEK I fed:

~70oz RMBs
~31oz Muscle Meat
~20oz Organ Meat
~6oz Eggs
~6oz Tripe
Total: 135oz (or 19.3oz/day)

I like to figure per week rather than per day (balance over time vs. per meal).

Here's the actual menu for Piper for a week (21 meals):

5 meals chicken necks
3 meals boneless venison
3 meals organ meat (I ground this and mixed 50% liver, 25% kidney, 8% spleen, 8% brain, 8% pancreas)
2 meals turkey necks
1 meal each of: tripe, eggs, fish, pork spareribs, heart, chicken thighs, rabbit, and duck

Each meal averaged around 6oz. I will definitely go smaller with the next dog!

Sorry this was so long!

Reactions: My Big Kahuna

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sarah --- this info is exactly what I needed!!! Thank you so much! I am thinking that Jake will be around 60lbs...so maybe 19.2 oz is what I should feed him. I will start out with maybe 15 though and increase if need be.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I forgot about the kitty question. Definitely start now, it's a HUGE pain to switch older cats! I use the same basic percentages for cats, except I make sure that heart is about 5% of the diet overall to make sure there is enough taurine (heart is considered muscle meat, not organ meat). So the percentages would look more like this for cats:

~45-50% RMBs (mostly chicken necks and wings, so the bone content is higher)
~25-30% Muscle meat (not counting heart)
~10-15% Organ meat
~5% Heart
~5% Eggs

I don't do tripe with kitties. I had to grind my cat food because I had some older cats with no teeth. With a kitten, I'd try to avoid grinding as it will be easier and the kitty will get more dental benefits from chewing. I find cats a little harder to feed than dogs simply because of their size. You just can't do much variety with your RMBs, so I always used the muscle meats for variety. My cats loved venison and pork. They liked turkey, but were not fond of beef. Some of them ate rabbit and duck and others didn't.

I'd do the same deal as with a puppy, figure up how much you need to feed per week (my cats are 8-10 pounders, so I fed the adults around 4 oz per day) and split that into the number of meals you want. Not all the meals have to be equal sized, but overall you should strive to hit around 4oz/day. You don't need to feed organ meat daily, once a week is fine. And you may find that you only need to do an egg every other week or so depending on how big your eggs are.

Remember that the percentages and the diet in general are somewhat fluid, every pet is different. Some do better with more bone than this, some with less. Some need very small organ meat meals, others can eat an entire meal of organ meat.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Sarah --- you have been SUPER helpful. My only concern is not being able to find those types of organs and hearts here. I live in Okinawa Japan...and I can not speak Japanese. I am sure I can find it off base at a local grocer...but again not sure how to ask for it. I will just have to check out the stores and see what I can find...they eat some weird stuff here who knows I might be able to find every part of the animal...:p

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can also feed whole raw small fish. Since some people need to get used to the ick facter I thought you might find this website interesting or helpful/ It does not get amount but it was a neat visual and showed some of the variety. Good luck- my Golden likes raw, he is usally on kibble but gets lots of raw treats and was on complete raw when he had an enviromental skin issue and the change in diet I believe help his immune system recover and heal. With 4 kids, 2 doga, and a cat it was a bit time consuming, but it is doable. We are in Alaska and sometimes have access to wild game. Some needs extended deep freezing and / or cooking due to parasites. That said our at 6 months old Golden boy Moose liked to steal live fish as we caught them and eat them on the beach.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Hopefully you'll have good luck finding the "weird" part of the diet. Chinese grocery stores are some of the best places to find oddities here, so maybe a grocery store in Japan will have the organs.

I feed fish too (I count it mostly as muscle meat).

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hopefully you'll have good luck finding the "weird" part of the diet. Chinese grocery stores are some of the best places to find oddities here, so maybe a grocery store in Japan will have the organs.

I feed fish too (I count it mostly as muscle meat).
I was going to say, I find the best/weirdest meats at the Chinese grocery store! :) Chicken feet, beef tongue, all kinds of organs, rabbit...they even have pork brains (yuck).

I'm a newbie to raw feeding (a little less than a month). I believe the transition to raw for puppies is easier than adults and that variety can be mixed in right away. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here?

I have whole fish in the freezer (mackeral and sardines) ready to go when we are ready to add in a new protein source. But like I mentioned above, I think puppies adjust way faster...we are still eating strictly poultry (chicken and turkey parts).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts