Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want something fun to do for your dogs with your left over turkey?

Turkey Jerky Dog Treat Recipe – Left Over Turkey

Here’s a great way to use that left over turkey and share with your favorite pooch. It’s a simple recipe with little effort!

Turkey Jerky Dog Recipe:

1 or 1-1/2 lbs. dark or white COOKED Turkey.

Thinly slice and place on a cookie sheet on the highest rack in the oven.

Bake @ 150 degrees or 170 for electric ovens.

Bake with door slightly open for 2 hrs. Don’t burn! If browning, oven is too hot. Turn the oven down or turn it off for 1/2 hour then turn it back on.

Test the jerky after 2 hrs. It should be crispy NOT leathery and NOT moist or tender.

Cool and then store in an airtight container for 2 wks.

Enjoy my furry friends!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
It should be crispy NOT leathery and NOT moist or tender.

Sounds like what happens when I try to cook a turkey, period!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am re-posting this for this year!

Reactions: Brave

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I did not need it last year, but very welcomed this year. Our Thanksgiving was long ago but for Charlie turkey it is.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Charlie is in for a big surprise!

Reactions: Buddy's mom forever

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
might have to give this a try... thanks!

Julie, Jersey and Oz

Reactions: Lucky Penny

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Oh Charlie is in for a big surprise!
Sorry I forgot to thank you for sharing. Charlie will love it, he is losing his mind over small peace of chicken right now.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I agree, I'll have to try this, too!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
We fry our turkeys but if there's any left I'll try it with some of the inside meat.We use a dehydrator instead of the oven tho.Make jerky of all kinds for the pups & me but never tried turkey thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. Just took the turkey jerky out of the oven. Maggie loves it. Bill tried it and said - hmmm, not bad, one for me, one for Maggie.
I may get a dehydrator. Any suggestions re brand?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Well, that was super easy and worked like a charm! Now do I store this in the refrigerator or no?

Julie, Jersey and Oz

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
This is funny, I did this today with some venison and then saw this. Chester is a hopeless eater and having tried for days to get him to eat his kibble I needed to do something before he got ill, he does, he's stubborn! I really thought he would give in but after just a few occasional mouthfuls he would give me a dreadful look and skulk off with a 'hmmph' noise! So I dried out some venison until they looked like almost burnt shrivelled morsels and then I put it in a blender to turn it into a heavy powder. All I have to do is sprinkle half a small spoonful under his kibble and half on top and ...it's all gone, including the kibble! So if you need a food enhancer for fussy eaters or ill dogs, blend it after drying it out :) It works like magic and goes a long way! :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love all of the results! I had to laugh when I read humans liking it too! I hope no dogs stuck their nose in the oven! This is a way for dehydrating meat, I haven't tried other meats. I am sure those would work. Like elly, said, she used venison! (good to know about the blender trick!) Capt Jack, where did you get your dehydrator?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bumping up for today!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Lucky Penny; Capt Jack said:
I got my small one from wal-mart & it works great! 5 trays & I make jerky everytime a lean meat goes on sale.
I also have a Smokin Tex stainless smoker that does good but we mostly use it for smoking fish(lots of tuna) Dogs like the parts of that that gets too dry too!:D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my small one from wal-mart & it works great! 5 trays & I make jerky everytime a lean meat goes on sale.
I also have a Smokin Tex stainless smoker that does good but we mostly use it for smoking fish(lots of tuna) Dogs like the parts of that that gets too dry too!:D
Thanks, I am going to have to get these!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Speaking from the medical side..please please be careful..some dogs cannot tolerate turkey. We have seen some cases of pancreatitis in dogs after eating turkey. I would do small amounts at first.( If your dog has never had tummy issues) ..if they have had sensitive tummies or pancreatitis I wouldnt even give it. And definitely NO PORK products at all (ham, pork chops..)

Sorry just had to put that out there!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts