Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Buddys best friend
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Please forgive for any silly question I might post.
Our oldest dog is "Buddy" a pure Golden. He is getting old now, and we have always thought about breeding him but life takes turns and at one point we started rescuing dogs rather than pursuing breeding. Buddy has the absolut greatest personality, he raised all our resuce dogs and has always been one of the most beautiful dogs (of course, cause he is family, no offense :) ). Today at the vet we talked about the fact that we were now sad we never had Puppies from Buddy and the Vet said... well, if he will be able to sire ( there are days where the legs dont want to move as fast as they used to..) there is no reason to not breed him now. Great personality, beautiful dark red/golden color. So I guess here is my question. Buddy has his papers and if there is someone out there in our area (Oakland, Genesee, Lepeer Counties) who would like to have their little girl become a Mom I would like to get together with you. I only want one pup out of the litter, you can sell or keep the rest. My oldest daughter is ready to leave the nest and can not imagine living without her beloved Buddy. Since she is aware he won't be around forever she would love to take his Baby along when she conquers the world. Can you help?
Thank you so much for reading and any tip you can provide is greatly apreciated. Silke

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Has your dog had any health clearances, such as, Hips/Elbows/Eyes/Heart checked? Do his parents and down the pedigree have clearances?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hi All
Please forgive for any silly question I might post.
Our oldest dog is "Buddy" a pure Golden. He is getting old now, and we have always thought about breeding him but life takes turns and at one point we started rescuing dogs rather than pursuing breeding. Buddy has the absolut greatest personality, he raised all our resuce dogs and has always been one of the most beautiful dogs (of course, cause he is family, no offense :) ). Today at the vet we talked about the fact that we were now sad we never had Puppies from Buddy and the Vet said... well, if he will be able to sire ( there are days where the legs dont want to move as fast as they used to..) there is no reason to not breed him now. Great personality, beautiful dark red/golden color. So I guess here is my question. Buddy has his papers and if there is someone out there in our area (Oakland, Genesee, Lepeer Counties) who would like to have their little girl become a Mom I would like to get together with you. I only want one pup out of the litter, you can sell or keep the rest. My oldest daughter is ready to leave the nest and can not imagine living without her beloved Buddy. Since she is aware he won't be around forever she would love to take his Baby along when she conquers the world. Can you help?
Thank you so much for reading and any tip you can provide is greatly apreciated. Silke
(shaking my head) honestly this is the reason some vets make me crazy.

I also would ask beside health clearances what your dog has to offer the breed other than being a nice dog who is pretty... what is good about him structurally? what would need to be improved? what is the health situation in the pedigree, any eye problems, pra?? what about cancer history in his lines, what about history on hips and allergies??

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Just because he physically be a stud does not mean he should be. I loved my Lucky to death but he was not breeding material. I got his health clearance but came to my senses before it was too late. I was planning to do exactly what you want to do.

I am happy I did not breed him because he ended up passing from cancer and I always would have worried about his offspring developing cancer.

It sounds like your Buddy and my Lucky where cut from the same cookie cutter.

My Cozy (yorkie) just had a precancerous mass removed from her neck. Now I am forever going to panic about her health and her offspring developing cancer. I plan to never breed again. Her puppies where all born before Lucky passed. I spayed 3 of the 4 shortly after. Lucy needs to get spayed even though I say she is mine technically she belongs to my dad so he and mom need to get her spayed.

Please really think about it before you do it especially since you know his offspring could be taking homes away from rescued dogs.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Since you have been involved in rescue you should be aware of the over abundance of unwanted dogs, I'm sure you know there are hundreds of dogs being put to sleep in shelters every day. What happens to the other puppies in this litter you want to produce so you can have just one? Do you care they could end up in shelters on that euthanasia list?

Responsible breeding requires medical clearances for heart, eye, hip and elbows, for the sire and dam, and for past generations on both sides as well.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I will play devil's advocate on another matter: you say this is for your daughter who is leaving the nest soon... Does this mean she is going to college? Moving into her first apartment? I had to wait 6 years after Trigger passed to get another golden because Trigger passed when I was 19 and I have just now, at 25, made it passed the young adult instability... I wanted to wait until I had a steady home so I could care for a large breed responsibly... If she is going to an apartment they may not even accept large breeds... Just some food for thought... I would hate to see her get overwhelmed with the task of caring for a golden and have the golden suffer because of it... I will leave the actual breeding advice to the pros...

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
One thing to consider: the mother of these new puppies will not just have ONE puppy that goes to you. There will be several, and then, where do THEY go? Pet stores? Rescues?

Others have already mentioned the need for health clearances.

Goldens are wonderful dogs. And yes, your daughter will miss having a dog. But I, too, would never have been able to handle a dog when I was in college - primarily because I was never home!! I would literally be gone 18 hours a day - classes, library, out with friends. That's no life for a dog.

Sorry. I don't expect that you're going to get much support for your plan here. But I hope you read these posts in the spirit that they are being written - not as an attack on you, but as reactions from people who care deeply about the breed.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good advice here.

A puppy from Buddy will not be exactly like Buddy. They may not look alike or even act alike. Please remember that. It will not be Buddy reincarnated. Dogs are shaped by their experiences and their DNA-- which won't be all Buddy!

Others have mentioned health screenings. Is it really fair to bring puppies into the world if Buddy and the mother don't have health testing? You could find out that Buddy has a hip problem, a congenital heart defect, or elbow dysplasia. These things are all hereditary. That means you're passing these bad traits on to his offspring. This could mean a lot of pain, surgery, or early death for the puppies. Are you willing to put puppies into the world that aren't given the best chance of survival and the ability to not just live but thrive?

Please consider x-raying hips and elbows of Buddy and the mother before breeding. Have his heart cleared by a cardiologist or via echocardiogram to make sure there is no defect or SAS. Eye problems are also prevalent so a trip to the opthamologist is also a must. Please, please, reconsider breeding until all of these things have been done.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
What is your dog's AKC registered name? What kennel did he come from? Who are his parents? All these things make a difference if you ever decide to use him as a stud.

Does he have any AKC titles i.e. conformation, agility, obedience or tracking? Does he have his OFA clearances for both hips and elbows? Also his eye and heart clearances? These are all things that a potential owner of a bitch will want to know prior to even considering your dog for stud. Without them there are too many missing pieces of his heritage and health clearances to have any reputable breeder interested in using him, and you would not doing everything you can to produce healthy puppies without those clearances. And to be quite frank with the economy being the way it is it is, my understanding is it is harder to find puppy buyers than it used to be. People's situations change, they lose their jobs, have to move, lose their homes. You only want one puppy what about the other 7 or 8 puppies? You would be bringing many lives into the world. Would you be willing to take those puppies back if their owners couldn't keep them? How would you feel knowing a puppy sired by your boy was in a shelter or rescue? If the desire is that strong to have a puppy out of him, I can't imagine that would feel good. Are you prepared for that?

There are too many nice dogs out there right now where a potential breeder can actually see the dog and verify all his clearances. Why not just research reputable breeders and when your daughter is ready, find her a puppy from a breeder who does all the recommended health clearances?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts