Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, A family of four looking for a Golden for companionship. Slight preference for female, no color preference. Puppy or very young (less than a year). Would like health check papers, clear genetic testing, OFA, good reputation. Willing to wait, but as a practical matter would be nice to have one before summer ends. We are moderately active family, willing to get more active with a furry friend. Have a fenced yard. Willing to go on a road trip to go fetch the right furry friend.

I wrote about our experiences trying to find a pup here:

Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Breeders couldn't begin to breed enough litters to match the number of inquiries since COVID hit. I hate to break it to you, but the odds of you getting a pup by the end of the year, let alone summer, for what you seek will be very slim.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
...Slight preference for female, no color preference. Puppy or very young (less than a year). Would like health check papers, clear genetic testing, OFC, good reputation. Willing to wait, but as a practical matter would be nice to have one before summer ends.
We had been "looking" for a few years. When we decided to try to get a puppy, and use the COVID-19 lockdown as a time to get the new puppy acclimated, our timeline was, literally...
  • 31 Mar - Decide to get a puppy, provided we could find "the right one"
  • 02 Apr - Found "the right one", but continued to check out some others
  • 04 Apr - Put deposit on puppy
  • 18 Apr - Brought puppy home
We wanted, and got, a female. We also wanted "a little older", and brought home an 18-week puppy. As I've mentioned on other threads, we ended up going through a commercial breeder, vice a hobby or preservation breeder. I feel we found the only avenue to make this happen on a short timeline.

I'm not sure I'd recommend our approach to others. But, we had already done much of our "general homework" over the prior two (2) years, and were in a position to make a decision if the right opportunity presented itself. Had it not, we were prepared to wait another year-or-two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Breeders couldn't begin to breed enough litters to match the number of inquiries since COVID hit. I hate to break it to you, but the odds of you getting a pup by the end of the year, let alone summer, for what you seek will be very slim.

True. That's why I am posting here. The market is vast and, economically speaking, supply and distribution are not perfectly efficient, so it's possible I get lucky and get one sooner than others for any number of reasons. But only if I keep looking and asking. I can match a Golden in eagerness and patience. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
True. That's why I am posting here. The market is vast and, economically speaking, supply and distribution are not perfectly efficient, so it's possible I get lucky and get one sooner than others for any number of reasons. But only if I keep looking and asking. I can match a Golden in eagerness and patience. :)
All I'm saying is contacting a breeder now stating the goal is to take home a puppy by the end of summer will be met with a major eye roll because they already have hundreds of inquiries ahead of you. Some breeders were getting dozens of inquiries in a single day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had been "looking" for a few years. When we decided to try to get a puppy, and use the COVID-19 lockdown as a time to get the new puppy acclimated, our timeline was, literally...
We wanted, and got, a female. We also wanted "a little older", and brought home an 18-week puppy. As I've mentioned on other threads, we ended up going through a commercial breeder, vice a hobby or preservation breeder. I feel we found the only avenue to make this happen on a short timeline.

I'm not sure I'd recommend our approach to others. But, we had already done much of our "general homework" over the prior two (2) years, and were in a position to make a decision if the right opportunity presented itself. Had it not, we were prepared to wait another year-or-two.
Good for you. Can you share more about where you got your puppy from? If you've posted in this forum, please let me know where. I tried searching, couldn't find it. You've been very active here. :--)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I'm saying is contacting a breeder now stating the goal is to take home a puppy by the end of summer will be met with a major eye roll because they already have hundreds of inquiries ahead of you. Some breeders were getting dozens of inquiries in a single day.

I hear you. That's no way to start a conversation, and I am not using that to filter out breeders. It's my family's wish I mention. Unexpected things happen.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good for you. Can you share more about where you got your puppy from? If you've posted in this forum, please let me know where. I tried searching, couldn't find it. You've been very active here. :--)
I have not specifically posted the name of the breeder. They are a commercial breeder here in San Diego County. They often have available puppies, but they are at the top of the price range, and their older puppies have an add-on price for boarding-and-training.

For transparency, we are currently having issues getting AKC paperwork on a 6+ month-old puppy. Everything else has gone well, but this is starting to "become an issue".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not specifically posted the name of the breeder. They are a commercial breeder here in San Diego County. They often have available puppies, but they are at the top of the price range, and their older puppies have an add-on price for boarding-and-training.

For transparency, we are currently having issues getting AKC paperwork on a 6+ month-old puppy. Everything else has gone well, but this is starting to "become an issue".
I am at the other side of the country, so San Diego is definitely out (beautiful place!), but thanks for sharing your story and your perspective. I am not completely opposed to small commercial breeders, if they treat the Goldens and puppies well. I have no problem with profit motive. I am however suspicious of very large operations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok. Hope the paperwork works out. Do you mind sharing what the issue is? Could be educational for others.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ok. Hope the paperwork works out. Do you mind sharing what the issue is? Could be educational for others.
Short version...
AKC paperwork was not available when we picked Kona up. We were promised that it was "on the way". Six'ish weeks later, still no paperwork, and AKC says no registration has been submitted for the litter.

You can follow this on a thread I started under Puppies/Breeders. I plan on posting a "things I'd do again, and things I'd do differently" once this registration issue resolves.

·
Registered
5 Posts

hey, may I know which one was the breeder you went with?

Thanks
Diego

·
Registered
290 Posts
hey, may I know which one was the breeder you went with?

Thanks
Diego
The info is buried in other posts. If you want to start a conversation and let me know "the why", I'd be happy to share.

For the most part, I try not to be "the first" to identify any business on an open forum, unless in direct response to another comment. It's too easy to start flame wars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The info is buried in other posts. If you want to start a conversation and let me know "the why", I'd be happy to share.

For the most part, I try not to be "the first" to identify any business on an open forum, unless in direct response to another comment. It's too easy to start flame wars.
Hi there, oddly, I reviewed all your posts, so unsure where is it really buried, never yet saw you shared the breeder haha, but thats ok, I am all the way in the other coast (NY tri state area), wouldn't work anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi there, oddly, I reviewed all your posts, so unsure where is it really buried, never yet saw you shared the breeder haha, but thats ok, I am all the way in the other coast (NY tri state area), wouldn't work anyway.
That's cool. They're actually responses to other people's posts (i.e., "I try not to be "the first" to identify..."). But, that's a long way to travel for a golden, and I have a feeling that there are many hobby/preservation breeders in your locale that would provide as-good-or-better in terms of "quality", and maybe (likely?) in terms of price.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still looking for a puppy or up to 1yo. This is feeling harder than finding a girlfriend in a tech oriented, sex imbalanced college lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Business idea - match.com or tinder for dogs. Prospective owners swipe, dogs sniff. LOL Did you get one recently? Where from?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts