Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! This is my first post on the forum, and I am very excited to be a part of the community! I am a week away from picking up my first puppy, Scooter. I have a visited him a few times and started noticing around week 5 that his right eye faces a bit outward. I know that puppies’ eyes have not fully developed during this stage, but I have been losing sleep over it worrying that it may be an issue. Has anyone seen this in young puppies before? If so, did they grow out of it? A thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
3,598 Posts
Welcome! If he is the dog you are holding in your Avatar picture he is adorable!

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Extropia is what this type strabismus is called. It's not common in Goldens, more common in Boston Terriers and the small spaniels like King Charles.
I would worry if you did not notice it when you brought him home, because that would mean it was not congenital and could be from a nerve, a brain issue, or an injury. I'd suggest you go to a veterinary ophthalmologist-http://www.acvo.org/ophthalmologist-search for the nearest one to you.

·
3 goldens
11,870 Posts
He is beautiful Our first golden was also named Scooter. He was a duck retriever and was retrieving ducks at 6 months. Folks laughed because he would retrieve in the cold watr, but when we got home, would give him a bath in warm water in the tub. had toget the salt water and mud off him. And we jsut thought warm watr would best for a bath. Folks would ask we gave him a bath in the tub in warm water and my son would say :Mom and IO try to take good care of him and he didnt' need more cold water. I was no longer shooting, but loved to go with my son and help put out decoys, watch for ducks and especially watch Scooter retrieve. This ismy son with Scooter aftr a hunt. Scooter was 6 months old
Scooter1.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts