Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else's Golden do this? When we go on our walks I try and remember to grab a toy incase she wants to carry something while we're going, but instead of carrying the toy she wants to try and pick up litter. She goes for the empty water bottles and soda cans that people throw on the side of roads.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Great training opportunity to work on the "Leave It" command. I've had fosters that I've had to be extra vigilant when out on walks, cause yes, everything was at risk of ending up in their mouth.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Chester favorite thing to bring home are pinecones...but yes we have seen water bottles and other trash too. Retrievers are goofy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's kind of funny because we see some on the side of the road and she'll leave them alone, then there are the ones that she goes up to and sniffs and the leaves, and then there are the ones she just wants to get a hold of.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I used to have a lab who I would tell "go get the stick" and he would pick up an empty water bottle. He'd carry it home and then it would go in the trash. With three schools bordering the park there was more garbage on the ground than actual sticks. That was our small part of cleaning it up.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
As Bailey is getting older, she is getting a bit better at leaving behind litter at the park...certain things she knows are boring...however, if she sees an empty water bottle, there would be no stopping her from picking it up. At the park we go to, there are usually 3-4 dogs there at a time, and they always pick up the water bottles and chase each other for them...I guess they have to work with what they've got ;)

Random - This just reminded me of the time we were at the park a couple of months ago, and Bailey found a stuffed elephant...like a kids toy, in PERFECT condition! (It was on the sidelines of a soccer field) She picked that sucker up and carried it all the way home...it was by far, the best thing she ever found at the park - and she knew it!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Random - This just reminded me of the time we were at the park a couple of months ago, and Bailey found a stuffed elephant...like a kids toy, in PERFECT condition! (It was on the sidelines of a soccer field) She picked that sucker up and carried it all the way home...it was by far, the best thing she ever found at the park - and she knew it!!
One time we found a muppet babies toy in perfect condition....and then we found another one. Turns out they were setting up a scavanger hunt for the daycare.

·
Registered
185 Posts
walks

Spirit does this all the time. Her favourite is Tim Horton coffee cups. We walk in the neighbourhood park every day and there are always some laying around. She is very good at "drop". But I do let her carry them around sometimes if they are not to dirty. People seem to get a big kick out of seeing a Golden walking around carrying a coffee cup :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is more of a nature lover...sticks, pine cones, walnuts, leaves, rocks, an occasional dead bird :yuck: :doh:.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Of course Hudson does this. I bring something for him and he finds every piece of yuck laying around:doh:. I've come to the conclusion that new stinky dirty outside "toys" are way better than old boring "i'm way too used to that to be interested in it anymore" home toys:p:.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Joy carries GIANT sticks (logs, really!) when she gets very excited during woods walks. She was dragging a 10 foot branch for about a quarter of a mile today until I got tired of getting smacked with it!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts