Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey gets 1-2 walks daily, which is 45 - 90 minutes a day.

She's never really excited about going on a walk and the Easy Walk Harness doesn't help to get her excited... she really doesn't like this one but it makes every walk so easy for me.

On our walks she's just fine and walks and sniffs around and I have the leash lose most of the time.

She used to jump up on me and bite 2-4 times a walk and now it's just one time just before arriving home... I really hope she will soon stop this behavior.

I was just wondering if this is normal that she's not getting excited about going on a walk? Anybody experiencing the same thing?

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That sounds perfectly normal to me. Oakly used to go nuts as we neared the house at the end of our walks. I used to have to stop and have him sit many times in that last 100 ft of our walks. He is fine now. I think it is a phase.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It may be that the harness doesn't fit well and rubs Bailey's shoulders or under the arms. I went to one of Pat Hastings seminars and a service Golden was put up on the table to be evaluated. The owner said the dog wasn't real excited putting the harness on. The dog had good structure but something about the shoulder lay back on this dog caused the harness to rub.

·
groobie peese n da lobe
10,181 Posts
Buddy hates walking. He would rather drive. He will glue his bummee on the street and refuse to walk. It is my fault totally as I carried him until I had to sling him over my shoulder and his feet were nearly below my waist. Anywhooooo...now, I usually drive him to a mountain or park and let him run and do whatever he wants, which is usually just lying down and chewing on a stick.

datz da buddy

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The harness should be well fitted, we got it from our dog trainer and he adjusted it on her.
She was the same way before we got he harness (which is now approx. 6 weeks), so I don't think it has to do with the harness.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Have you tried walking her at different locations? How is she when you walk around the house, backyard, or some place she spends more time? Is there a noticeable difference before and after you put the harness on?

Could she be stressed/shy about being out and about? Some dogs who don't like walks are conflicted...they enjoy the exercise and being with their family, but they're also super scared of things in the environment.

Did the trainer instruct you on teaching her to put her head through the harness loop and be happy about wearing it?

Aww...the wild parts of a walk! If it's happening at a predictable time, ask her to sit a few houses before then, feed a treat, and then repeat (or call her name, and feed for turning to you) many times. Rather than her bouncyness you'll get more of a thinking dog. I'll admit I like the wild moments, esp when my six year old dog still does it on occasion!

Some dogs are just less enthusiastic than others...but it's great you're thinking about this! When dogs are being "calm" due to being scared and stressed, it's an issue that should be dealt with to improve the dog's welfare.

(Note...the above questions you don't really have to answer...they're more to get you thinking about the situation...but you definitely can respond to them).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have different routes in our neighborhood and we also go to places where we usually drive to. Once a week we also go to a big outside mall with plenty of people and other dogs.
I use the clicker with her, so during our walks I always give her many treats when she walks fine next to me or is being fine when someone passes us with a dog.

She also never jumps up or down from her travel crate in my trunk, so I always lift her up and down, she's fine during the drive and never whines or barks during the drive.

She doesn't seem stressed to me during our walks, she sniffs everywhere and takes whatever she can get in her mouth. When we see other dogs she gets excited but more a playful excitement as she wants to go and say Hi. When we are in a crowded mall she walks fine and doesn't try to jump up on anybody and when people ask to pet her, she's doing wonderful.

When we return from our walks around the neighborhood she usually doesn't want to go inside, which I think is a sign that she enjoys being outside.

She goes 2-3 times a month to a doggy daycare and seems doing fine there too and enjoys playing with the other dogs.

It's just that I expected her to be excited when we get ready for a walk.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Every dog has a difference in how they respond depending upon their temperament and personalities...just like people.
I have a female Golden who never has gotten excited about much of anything and she is 8 years old now. Taking her for walks seemed like a bother to her and she would even just plain lie down in the middle of the walk. Even as a young dog she didn't show much enthusiasm.
I had her checked many times by vets to make sure there wasn't a physical or structural problem. I even had her seen by different trainers and a behaviorist.
Finally I just came to accept that this is her personality. She tends to have a more serious demeanor. If I get a brief tail wag from her I am thrilled. Despite her serious manner we have a very special bond.
My other Golden is the exact opposite...happy all the time and excited by the smallest things.
Try to notice the small things your dog enjoys and just understand his reactions are a simple part of his personality.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She can be very playful and we play fetch a few times during the day.

She's still very jumpy and mouthy at home and still thinks our 3 year old is one of her littermates. That's why I end up separating them a lot, as she sometimes doesn't understand not to jump up on him and our son doesn't understand to be calm and gentle with her.

Also when she was alone for 2-3 hours and I come home she usually still stays on her bed only after a minute or so she gets up to greet me... I guess I am still used to the craziness of our previous dog (maltese), he was the other extreme - barking like hell and being totally excited when I came home.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wish I could relate! In our house we have to spell w-a-l-k, and hide the leashes! Finn is 13 weeks and has already been taught the ropes from his lab brothers that he's supposed to get crazy when it looks like a walk is going to happen. I have to say- I LOVE the picture of Bailey sleeping on the floor! Hilarious position!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have the same kinds of behaviors spread out between my two.

Flem will go for walks but more to humor us than because she loves it; Spip loves her walks, she will remind us it is walking time by standing all squared off and staring at us intently. Flem is the official enthusiastic greeter every time you enter the house (the return from a trip to theoutside trash can qualifies); Spip will stay put in her crate (door open) or on her bed a little while when we get home.

Different dogs, different pleasures and attitudes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts