Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually did two walks a day with Bailey 1-2 miles each time, then I read that it should be less. So now I am doing 1 mile two times a day or if we go somewhere where it's maybe 1.5-2 miles I just do one walk a day with her.

Now the last few times she started laying down on the grass (our walks are mostly on pavement) and starts to chew on grass or anything else, and it happens sometimes after just half a mile. I can get her pretty much back to walking and she doesn't seem to be in pain in any way. Is that normal, that they just want to lay down on the grass, especially she hasn't much the opportunity to do it unless we are on a walk? Or is she tired or anything else... ?

When we come home I can play fetch with her right after the walk and she just goes for it.

Attachments

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I'd bring some treats to try and prevent this. I'm wondering if your Bailey is testing you to see what she can get away with. I don't think she is tired, 1/2 mile is not that far for her age.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We went through that with Penny too. However, she'll still do it (age almost 8 years old) if only one of us tries to go for a walk with her. After a few minutes, she realizes the 'pack' is not together and she wants to go back. Very frustrating, she does it more with me than DH.

She'd even go so far as to lay flat out on her side and refuse to budge. Even a little tug on the collar...i.e. as if to drag her by the neck...got no response. She'd just go limp.

If we both go, no problem: she'll walk all day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts