Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone give me some good advise as to how to stop sasha pulling when we are walking on the pavement and also how to make her walk to heal, she is now 15 months now and it is still terrible, oviousley as she is getting bigger she is stronger so i really could do with getting this sorted sooner rather than later
many thanks
Ann

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ann try getting a gentle leader for Sasha, Honey also pulled like a train (and still will on a flat collar) although she didn't like it at first, and would try to get it off walks like a dream since we started using one. I prefer the G/L to a Halti, but I know people that also have success with the Halti.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry im oviously having a thick moment but what kind of lead is a G/L sasha is on a half choke at the moment

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I tried just about everything I knew and read and still could not get my one year old adopted Golden to walk to heal. I woke up every morning with shoulder and back pain.
I finally gave in and purchased a halti about a week ago and it has been great. My big guy is very timid so I hope in time he will be more comfortable with outside noises and people so that we can walk without the halti.
If your girl is not timid or fearful of noise/people I would try the training without a GL or halti first. There are tons of videos and pages on Google that will explain the different techniques far better than I can. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Ann go to www.gentleleader.co.uk and it will come up with their website also see a demo of how it works.
Good luck:wavey:
Looks promising. I currently have him hooked up with a martingale collar and it works OK. But if I allow him to have a full lead(75 lb labx), he still pulls pretty good. When I shorten the lead to just a foot or 2, that seems to keep him under control pretty well. But that is not the answer for a small person with a big dog.

I'm going to work with him more as C's mom suggest before going with one of these. The video does look good though.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Here's something you can do to train them not to pull and to pay more attention to you:

Start somewhere you can walk in any direction (so not a sidewalk). As soon as the dog starts getting towards the end of his leash, without saying a word, spin around and take off in a different direction. Don't stop, just keep walking until the dog catches back up with you. When he gets back to you, give him lots of praise. Repeat over and over. In time the dog will decide that you don't have a clue where you're going and he better stick near you for when you change your mind and want to switch directions.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a front hook harness on Roxy. Whenever she happens to be walking along in the "heal" position, I hold a little tension in her lead and say "Roxy heal", take a few steps, say "good heal" and give her a treat. She now stays in the heal position for quite a while on our walks, even with Elliot walking on the other side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts