Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got a 14 month old golden retriever. My wife and I work during the day so we try to get her lots of exercise before and after work. However, although she seems very happy and is good on a leash, she does not like to walk on her leash very far.

I get about 100 feet down the road she then stops and looks back at the house. She tugs and is very stubborn about not going any further. I give up and take her back and let her off the leash and she runs around happy on our property ready to play. Is it possible she doesn't like walks?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Sounds like she gets out of her comfort zone and wants to go back. Is she a on the shy side?

You may want to take her to parks, PetsMart/PetCo and other dog friendly places where she can see, smell and meet other dogs, anything that gets her interested on going forward instead of retreating to the comfort zone. You should also go to a training class, a good wahy to socialize and get professional ideas.

All mine want to do is pull forward, I wish they needed a little coaxing!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
do you know her history? she might be scared she's being taken away from her new, happy home.

have your driven her someplace for a walk rather than just leaving from home?

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Try holding treats in your left hand, and give her one every once in a while. That might keep her going. Sometimes it just takes a little time for them to understand what we want and what is best for them.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Is she timid? Afraid of loud noises, people walking by or cars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is not timid, seems happy all the time - loves everyone and isn't bothered by other dogs at all. She did go for a long walk tonight, when we took her with my friend's dog. Im wondering if she is just excited and unsure of the leaving the house right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts