Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Walking issues after neuter

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hollyjean18 
#1 · (Edited)
Friday update:

Ya'll... Hodor had some soft poop stuck in his butt feathers (close to his anus)! Once I realized that was there and properly cleaned it he was like, cool and started walking and acting normal again ***?! Haha!!

Also, forgot to mention the vet said he was well indowed so that made it probably even more uncomfortable for him after surgery... anyways, he is officially on the mend and hopefully he continues to recover and stops giving me mini heart attacks- I am so SO relieved though!! I hope all of this info is helpful to future readers on here... always check the hiney area if in doubt 😂💩

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warning: long post

Reason for this post: I want to know if anyone has had anything similar happen to their dog... and if so, what was the cause?

(all comments regarding me having him neutered before a certain age are not needed as I am fully aware of the pros/cons and I made my decision accordingly along with my vets advice).

Hodor, my 73 pound 9 month old Golden Retriever, was neutered Tuesday, Aug 25th. Vet called later that day and said the surgery went well and I can come pick him up later. I thought, thank goodness, my boy is ok and the hard part was over... nope, not the case.

Side note: we have had several male dogs in the past get neutered and we have never encountered this issue or heard of this happening.

So back to the issue: Hodor was walking weird when we brought him home post op (which is totally to be expected because of the anesthesia). But by the next morning, when I got him up to go potty, he started this crazy run/sit thing. This is the best I can describe it: he takes these real quick steps then sits down real fast like he doesn't want to move at all and we end up having to force him to move again. It is like he is trying to run from discomfort but then quickly sitting to help ease the pain.

Meds he is currently on:

Vetprofen (for pain and inflammation, 1 tab every 12 hours with food)
Acepromazine (sedative, give as needed)
*I have only given him one dose of this so far. The run/sit issue began before we started this med.

We have been keeping him in an exercise pen with a cone on since he came home from the neuter. Thankfully he is eating and drinking normally. He has only peed twice post op and no poop yet, which I know it can take a few days post op for his bowels to return to normal. No abnormal swelling, no leakage, no hot areas, and ice compress 2x/day.

Hodor was checked by another vet at our vet office yesterday and he didn't see any issues and we were sent home to continue with what we have been doing. We talked to our primary vet today and she suggested it could be a pain response so she wants us to start Gaberpentin with the other meds to see if he improves by tomorrow. If he isn't improved by tomorrow, she wants to see him.

Ok, that was a long post, sorry! I think all of the details are important though!

Any advice to help me relax a little? Any idea as to what is/could be going on? I am worried for my sweet boy. He is my everything 🖤

Pic for attention

See less See more
#8 ·
I think just like people react differently to pain, dogs can too. Since the vets rechecked him, it sounds like he's just reacting to the weird feelings. I had a dog that totally freaked out over the flea and tick treatment that slowly spreads across their skin. She wouldn't walk for 2 days and I had to carry her outside and to her food dish. There was no skin rash and the vet did not think it was a neurological reaction. I finally bathed her a second time and she was fine. She was a bit of a drama queen.

Reactions: Natalee082
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.