Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So we are expected to get our first "real" snowfall tomorrow but they don't know how much yet. Anywhere from 3-9 inches they are saying. Broad range. We have only had inch tops at once so far this winter (very unusual). Whenever there is snow on the ground though, and we try to take Koda for walks, she is baaaaad. She doesn't listen to anything because she is so distracted with the snow everywhere. We are definitely much more lenient on these walks because of that. But she also will randomly try to sprint on these walks...do you think this means that she doesn't like it and is trying to get off that type of surface?

She will sometimes do one of her jumping fits too while on snow where she jumps at me and trys to bite the leash (trying to play). I dread going on walks in snow but it is going to be inevitable as it will happen where we live.

Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions? I really don't want to cut her walks out just because there is snow on the ground, she loves it so much!

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hm, I have never met a golden that did not like snow. I think she is sprinting because she likes the snow.
+1

Ours get a little silly in the snow too. When Nellie was younger, she loved to drop down on her belly and tunnel through it. She would do the same with piles of leaves.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's true. It is probably out of her desire to play in it. She does LOVE it when we play. We got the inch of snow and start making snowballs last time..couldn't keep her inside.

I guess I am more wondering if this is normal behaviour and if we should do anything to correct it or just deal with it while the snow is on the ground? Like I said, I don't want to take her walks away.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I think she is just overly excited about the snow, thus causing the behavior. I would not cut out her walks and take her fun away. Just make sure when she sprints, that she does not get too far away from you. Let her play :)

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
We have lots and lots (and lots) of snow here and dogs just love it. They go crazy in the snow. They run and dig and roll in it... they have a blast. I got into the woods daily with Poppy and if we don't stick to the snowmobile tracks, she gets snow up to her shoulders. I guess it's just like kids in those big 'ball pools'.
Even if there is just a little patch of snow, Poppy will make a detour to walk right on that patch. It's fun! And yes, she does get very excited when there is snow and will want to run right into it and play.
I would be surprised if your dog does not enjoy it. A lot. This video is not especially good or exciting but it shows how comfortable Poppy is in the snow.
Dans les bois - YouTube

·
Registered
115 Posts
if you go look at the pictures I put up in the pictures section you can see how much fun Nash and his buddies have playing in the snow up at our cabin in vermont. If you can get a nice open space to let your girl run, dive, roll etc. you will know why she is acting differently on your walks through the snow!

our cabin is a half mile walk through the snow in the winter from where we park. I leash him for the first 100 yards because there are some dogs there that he would investigate. after that I let him run. I'll bet between running ahead and behind me he runs 5-6 miles during the half mile walk in lol.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i agree, i think this is why! I will be sure to let her out back to run and play in the snow for sure.

I have to leash her on walks because we live in a subdivision so she is walking along streets, no running on walks. we will adjust and just let her have more freedom with the snow.

thanks all!

Loved the video, Ithaca

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOVE IT - goldencamper! :) That was great, made me laugh. I am looking forward to this snow now. I am going to be home tomorrow so we should gets lots of play time in it!! :)

Plus, maybe this will be good for her taking chunks out of the ground obsession, now she can just eat snow and I dont have to worry as much! :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm getting ready to shoot video of Maya playing in this snow storm, so I hope it comes to fruition! In Chicago we've only had a few one inch dustings, but Maya just loves it and goes crazy--she gets the major zoomies going on, sprints and jumps, and runs her nose around the ground like an aardvark!!!! Let's hope we get this snow--I'm thinking I may need to take a half day vacation to get out with her and enjoy the fun!!!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I have the video camera ready. Of course my hubby is out of town, he would love to see her in this big snow fall (if it happens). So I will video and he can play and play all day Saturday if he wants! :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Before you set out for your walk, have a good play session on the leash. Let her jump and zoom and roll. I think she's just excited and needs to be free to 'have fun with it'. Once she's settled a bit, you can go for your walk.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hopefully you will be able to find a nice place to let her romp! snow seems to be a universal playground for dogs. It's even more fun when the snow gets DEEP and you start playing "find it" in a few feet of fresh powder. talk about mentally and physically tired pups!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good idea. i will have to do that tonight maybe. we are already stopping at the pet store so i will see what they have! Thanks everyone. Where are you Penny's Mom that you aren't getting this snow?

·
Registered
115 Posts
You need to get some bright orange tennis balls so she can find them in the snow!

I use one of the toys that is basically two large tennis balls connected by a rope. makes it a bit less likely to just dissapear and easier to find if I'm the one who has to go looking for it! lol

this pic is actually Nash going after that toy. it landed in the middle of the footprints where there is a little pile of snow that his eyes are focused on.

this is the toy in my hand:

Reactions: Ranger

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We're in south-central Michigan. We've got rain starting tonight, more rain tomorrow with temps in the upper 30s, then colder but the system will be past us by then. Just snow showers for Friday. And much colder! Brrrr

1 - 20 of 31 Posts