Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there. My 12 week old puppy is getting up every 2 hours throughout the night for a week now. He received some deworming meds. and his second set of vaccines last week and has had loose stools through the night since. Through the day the stools very from formed to loose. He was only getting up once or twice a night prior to this. I thought he was developing a bad habit, so several nights ago, at 2am, I did not let him out when he started whining. At 5am, he started again, so I went to let him out, and sure enough he messed in his crate. From 5am to 6am, I cleaned everything thoroughly, put him back to sleep, and he messed again at 7am. So I know he's not "crying wolf". He's on Acana Large Breed Puppy food and is getting 1 cup each meal mixed with 1tbsp. pumpkin and 1tbsp. yogurt 3 times a day. I've been giving the pumpkin/yogurt mixture since I got him at 8wks old. Everything was great until a week ago. I called the vet two days ago, brought in a stool sample, and it came out clean. I was advised to fast him for 24hrs, and he still woke up most of the night. He is playful and full of energy, eating and drinking fine. He's walked 2 - 3 times a day for 15 - 20min. each walk, and he gets play time with puppy pals several times a week. Right now, he tends to sleep better through the day than he does at night. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I would call the vet, loose stools for a week is a long time. I would also take him off the pumpkin and yoghurt for now. I know that pumpkin can have a laxative effect in some dogs (it does for Kirby).

Also, don't ignore those cries at night, he can't help it and he is to young to try and hold it, he is just a baby. I know how frustrating it can be and some parasites are almost impossible to detect. He may need a round or two of an antibiotic. Definitely call you vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts