Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just found out that someone tried to break into our neighbors' apartment Monday night. At 7:30 in the evening!

They just had a baby, so the girl's mom has been staying with them for a while. She came over last night to let us know what happened. I guess her and her daughter were home with the baby when it happened. Someone tried to jimmy their patio door. I don't know if they took off when their dogs started barking, or when they turned the patio light on, but thankfully they did take off. The weird and unnerving thing is, we were heading out to take Riley for a walk right about that time and we didn't see or hear anything.

I know everyone says 'things like that don't happen in this neighborhood' but here, they really don't! You just don't hear about break-ins in this area and you certainly don't hear about them happening at 7:30 in the evening! I'm wondering if it might not have been a random thing. I think there's at least a chance that someone may have known the husband is an ER doctor, known what hours he's working right now and maybe they were looking for prescription pads, or something...?

It was definitely a wake-up call for me, though. I'd gotten so (foolishly) comfortable here that half the time, when I'd take Riley for a walk, I wouldn't even bother locking the door. Won't be doin' that anymore! And I told mom last night, there are times when I'm glad that Riley is not a friendly dog. (Sure makes me miss having a GSD, though!)

Anyway, I just wanted to warn everyone about letting their guard down. You just don't know, anymore.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ooh scary! Glad nothing bad happened!

Definitely a good reminder for people not to get too lackadaisical about safety. I'm bad for leaving the back door unlocked during the day when I'm home. I just got up to check it. Front door is ALWAYS locked.

The weird thing is that when I lived in a worse neighbourhood, I'd occasionally leave the back door wide open during the day! Ranger and Blue were always in and out of the house and in the yard, and there was always people I knew around...but a few times after everyone had left, I'd leave the door open til 6pm or later...what was I thinking??

1 - 2 of 2 Posts