Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To honor the spay/neuter contract from our breeder and to reduce the chances of our Golden Retriever getting cancer (our last Golden, Abby, died in June of hemangiosarcoma at the age of 8), we plan to wait to spay our new puppy until she is 18 months old. She will be a family pet; we do not plan to show her. We are prepared to deal with her going through a few heat cycles until she is spayed.

I received a pet license renewal from Los Angeles County for Abby today (yeah, that was me out there, bawling at the mailbox), and noticed an enclosed form called the "Spay/Neuter Exemption Application." Does anyone have experience filling this out? The only reasons that are "allowed" on the form for not altering your pet are: (1) Medical Exemption (spaying will cause serious bodily harm or death to the dog due to "age or infirmity"); (2) Law Enforcement (the dog is a police dog); (3) Service or Assistance Dogs (requires documentation); or (4) Competition Dogs (requires proof).

The only opening I see is under Competition Dogs, it says an exemption is allowed if "the owner of the dog is a member of one of the department approved purebred dog breed clubs, which maintains and enforces a code of ethics for dog breeding that includes restrictions from breeding dogs with genetic defects and life threatening health problems that commonly threaten the breed."

It's not an option to avoid the situation by not licensing our new puppy until after she is spayed. Animal Control goes door to door in our neighborhood (I call it their "Annual Fundraiser"), ringing doorbells and pounding on doors to root out unlicensed dogs. When we first moved here, within a few weeks Animal Control came knocking and busted us, slapping us with a $180 delinquency fee on top of the $20 license fee. (The license fee is also astronomical for unaltered dogs, and we're prepared for that.) So they don't mess around.

Thoughts? (Please don't include comments on early/late/never spay pros and cons, let's leave that for another day/thread.) Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Can you get a list of “department approved dog breed clubs”? If something like the GRCA, or even your local GR club qualifies, then joining one of those clubs could be a win/win. You could keep your girl intact and take advantage of some of the benefits of belonging to one of these clubs. certainly it should be worth it if only for the year or two you need to get her to a healthier spay age...

·
Super Moderator
2,297 Posts
To honor the spay/neuter contract from our breeder and to reduce the chances of our Golden Retriever getting cancer (our last Golden, Abby, died in June of hemangiosarcoma at the age of 8), we plan to wait to spay our new puppy until she is 18 months old. She will be a family pet; we do not plan to show her. We are prepared to deal with her going through a few heat cycles until she is spayed.

I received a pet license renewal from Los Angeles County for Abby today (yeah, that was me out there, bawling at the mailbox), and noticed an enclosed form called the "Spay/Neuter Exemption Application." Does anyone have experience filling this out? The only reasons that are "allowed" on the form for not altering your pet are: (1) Medical Exemption (spaying will cause serious bodily harm or death to the dog due to "age or infirmity"); (2) Law Enforcement (the dog is a police dog); (3) Service or Assistance Dogs (requires documentation); or (4) Competition Dogs (requires proof).

The only opening I see is under Competition Dogs, it says an exemption is allowed if "the owner of the dog is a member of one of the department approved purebred dog breed clubs, which maintains and enforces a code of ethics for dog breeding that includes restrictions from breeding dogs with genetic defects and life threatening health problems that commonly threaten the breed."

It's not an option to avoid the situation by not licensing our new puppy until after she is spayed. Animal Control goes door to door in our neighborhood (I call it their "Annual Fundraiser"), ringing doorbells and pounding on doors to root out unlicensed dogs. When we first moved here, within a few weeks Animal Control came knocking and busted us, slapping us with a $180 delinquency fee on top of the $20 license fee. (The license fee is also astronomical for unaltered dogs, and we're prepared for that.) So they don't mess around.

Thoughts? (Please don't include comments on early/late/never spay pros and cons, let's leave that for another day/thread.) Thanks in advance.
This is asinine omg. I agree with the above comment,check for the approved purebred dog breed clubs, maybe there is a local (LAGRCA?) that may help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions! We got Abby from the GRCGLA rescue, so I would be happy to join that organization. I will also check out Rally Trials in our area. I will also ask our vet what she has done in the past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts