Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,
My name is Diane and I am currently waiting on receiving my Golden.

I have, in the past, had Chocolate Labs, but I decided our next dog would be a Golden, after I went to the Cleveland Christmas dog show, and observed the Goldens and asked some questions, and got the names of some breeders that have show dogs, although I am looking for a pet, not show.

Which places me where I am...one breeder has a litter born Thanksgiving, all gone for show except one female, (I want a girl) and that will be decided this Tuesday when she has the litter in for the Vet appt.

The second breeder has a litter born last week, 5 girls, but she is keeping one, and not sure how many how going to show...she MAY have a girl for me...

Anyway.I'm a waiting and a hoping....cross your fingers for me......

Nice to meet you all.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, read it all before I posted. :)

I feel I am dealing with reputable breeders.

Now, just to get a pup! lol

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You might also try www.GPGRC.org for a puppy referral to find other breeders with puppies available. Good luck!

If the litter was only born on Thanksgiving, it is still too early to know if they will be show quality. That is usually determined more near 7-8 weeks of age.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for responding.

I am eagerly awaiting an answer this Tuesday, but I began thinking...I have never bought a puppy without seeing the entire litter, and what would be the reason/reasons a pup would go for a pet, opposed to a show dog?

Uh Oh ...now I'm thinking.....:)

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
There is no difference between a show and pet puppy really as far as you are concerned. A show puppy will have (hopefully) the best structure, attitude, and movement. There are a lot of things to look at. I am just learning but it is enough to make your head explode. Fronts/Rears, balanced angulation, neck, bend of stifle, ear set, croup, cobby, short backed, etc.

Have you visited the breeder? Seen where the puppies will be raised? Met the breeder in person? All of this would be foremost on my list before I commit to a puppy. We all know that once you see "her" all bets will be off.

I really have a hard time believing that this breeder's vet is going to determine which are show vs pet quality. Not only is it too early (um 5-6 weeks early) but a vet would be the last person I would let choose my show puppies. Breeders, handlers, and conformation people familiar with the breed standard should be the ones doing the evaluations. This tid-bit of information about the vet evaluating show vs pet homes concerns me that perhaps this breeder isn't reputable or we are just missing key information.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Carolina,
I at first contacted a breeder after I saw one of her dogs at a show, showing in Obedience. I spoke with the owner of the dog, at the show, she gave me the breeders name.
She had a litter, and when they were 3 weeks I contacted her, all her females were taken.

She directed me to a woman who I call "the litter Master" (L.M.)ha ha ha, who knows what kennels are having pups.

Before I phoned her, I started surfing the web, figuring, gosh why pay SO much money for a pet, maybe I should just look around. I found a breeder, called her, she has a female...cheap.

THEN, (long story) I called the L.M. and she gave me the names of the 3 kennels, (I wanted to keep my options open) and discussed the puppy I found online. The L.M. asked if it was okay by me if she viewed the online site, and then said DO not buy a pup from there, cause the parents have only once been checked at 13 months, and never since. And she said they HAVE to be checked..(eyes, hips, etc.) at 24 months.

She then proceeded to give me the names and emails of the 3 kennels.

I KNOW for a fact that all 3 are show breeders.

Maybe when this breeder takes her pups to VET, she just wants another opinion. I am sure if I bred for a certain length of time, I would know which ones would catch my eye, so to speak.

Here's an email from the breeder I'm hoping on:

Hi Diane,
I have a litter of 10 pups that are 5 weeks old as of Thanksgiving day. There are 8 boys and 2 girls. XXXX (L.M.) is right in that I MIGHT have a girl available if she doesn't go to a show home. I will be evaluating the litter next week for more definite conformation quality and one of the girls most likely will be going to a show home. No verdict yet on the second girl.

I would definitely keep you in mind if you might be interested in her for a pet home. Or would you possibly change your mind to a boy? Depending on why you want a girl...I know I prefer the girls only because I love their more independent personalities. The boys tend to be more clingy....but many pet owners really love that about the boys.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, received the news today, no puppy from the first breeder, both her femaels have gone for show. Sent an email to the 2nd breeder, I know she had 4, or 5 females just born...we'll see what she says.

Problem I have is, what exactly does a Golden look lie that's NOT good enough for show...lol

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
My Tess comes from a show line litter, and out of the litter of 11, only two were kept for show, 1 boy and 1 girl. And I get compliments every day (I do a lot of therapy dog visits) on how beautiful she is, especially her face. But more important is her temperament. I knew beforehand that I wanted a puppy that I could train to become a therapy dog, and the breeder selected her with that in her mind. If you don't have plans to show your dog, temperament is the most important, IMO...

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She says she has a little boy pup...but Ireally want a GIRL and I'm sticking to my guns. lol

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
When the right pup is out there you will know it.

I wasnt going to get a pup this year. I wanted to wait and do more research but one day something came over me and I typed in golden in MN and WI on the gundog breeders page. The first breeder fell through. I missed get her last boy pup by 2hrs. I contacted the second breeder that had pups on the way and really liked Susan. She asked good questions about me and I gave her honest answers. I sent off my money two days later after 2 converstations with her. Jazz( the dam) only had 3 pups all boys. I wanted a boy and because someone else backed out of that breeding and went with her other breeding I got first pick. It was all written in the Stars. BaWaaJige was meant to be mine.

You too will get the pup you were meant to have. Just wait it will happen.

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I think too, when it's right, it's right. ;)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Yep, you will find the right pup for you and the pup will find you.
When I went to look at boy pups at a breeder where my prior golden was from, she brought the boys out one by one. She only had three from that litter. First one, nope, he did not want to interact with me. Second one came out in her arms, my heart melted and I knew instantly that was the one for me. She held him out to me and he was all wiggly and kissy. I held him and he just wagged that tail so hard and licked my face. He had found his mom and he let me know, lol. I looked at the third boy just because the breeder wanted me to, but I had already made up my mind.
I like to think that "Sam" my golden that had died of cancer a year earlier guided me and guided the pup telling him: Hold out for my mom, you will recognize her, I guide you! "Sam" was actually Toby's uncle. Anyway, just got a bit teary eyed and sappy, lol. Toby, my boy is a blessing!
You will know when it is the right match. It was like that with all my boys so far. My first golden ever, I picked, because he fell asleep in my arms. He was also a "Sam".

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I just wanted to re-assure you on the show v. pet issue. A puppy that is not evaluated to be show quality is not an inferior dog. To me there is no "just a pet" since show dogs are pets too. Being in dog shows is a very small part of the average show dog's life, ours are our pets first and show dogs sometimes. :)

With regard to the evaluation, the differences between two puppies can be so minute that the average lay-person could literally not be able to tell the difference between show v pet quality. It's hard enough to see structural differences as a novice when you know what you're looking for, let alone with no education at all. Or it could simply be that the "pet quality" puppy is a bit too laid back for the show ring - but that generally makes for a better pet IMO. A pet quality puppy won't be a gremlin or anything, don't worry. You have to remember that the puppies are from the same litter and they are still goldens! :)

·
Davina
392 Posts
When I got my puppy the breeder had a litter of 9 and 1 was already taken. I wanted a girl. there was only 4 boys and 4 girls left. the first one that I picked up was a FAT rolly cute hammy boy. I so wished he hadn't been a boy he was so sweet. but I ONLY wanted a girl. The first girl I was handed IDK something about her she just didn't have IT. I just didn't feel it. The second girl I was handed NOPE. The third girl. OMG it was like the clouds parted and she was handed to me from heaven. She was the one. I was starting the worry none of them would be the right one LOL Something about my Sharlette She was perfect. I am so in love with her! I am so glad I got her. I am so glad I picked her/she picked me. You will know when the right one is the right one. Good luck! I can't wait for your update. and welcome to the forum!

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone...
I can see the personality of the person who owns a Golden is, indeed a special, compassionate kid of people. (Us dog lovers are special, aren't we?)

Anyway, I am still on my quest.

Cross your fingers that breeder #2, that I am dealing, with decides to let me have a girl. I heard she had 5 or 6 girls. I ONLY want one!

Hugs all your Goldens for me....

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Have you spent time with male & female goldens? When I started fostering, my stated preference was for females and as luck would have it, my first foster was a male. I absolutely loved fostering the boys as they were so "easy" and went with the flow, my girls were independent thinkers and certainly had their own agenda. So while I know you're looking for a girl, perhaps you could check out the boy pup.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts