Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little information. In December we placed a deposit on a litter which was projected to be available for this May. The female was due to come into heat in January, puppies born in March, and ready to go home in May. As of this point, at the end of February, the female has yet to go into heat. Is this unusual? The breeder said that winter heats could be a little delayed but this is now over a month late. Am I too anxious? I knew it would be difficult to wait for May but now we're waiting until the end of June.
This is a new experience for me. Our other goldens were selected much less scientifically. We pretty much visited the breeder, picked our puppy from the litter and that was that. I think we'll be OK with the wait but I need to know that there is at least a litter to wait for (and I sure hope there will be a male for us!)

Thanks for your help!

·
SunKissed Goldens
974 Posts
I need a little information. In December we placed a deposit on a litter which was projected to be available for this May. The female was due to come into heat in January, puppies born in March, and ready to go home in May. As of this point, at the end of February, the female has yet to go into heat. Is this unusual? The breeder said that winter heats could be a little delayed but this is now over a month late. Am I too anxious? I knew it would be difficult to wait for May but now we're waiting until the end of June.
This is a new experience for me. Our other goldens were selected much less scientifically. We pretty much visited the breeder, picked our puppy from the litter and that was that. I think we'll be OK with the wait but I need to know that there is at least a litter to wait for (and I sure hope there will be a male for us!)

Thanks for your help!
My girls have been up to 4 1/2 months late!!!! :bowl:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Have you spoken to the breeder to see if you can have your deposit back since nothing has happened in case you would like to go to another breeder? I am not a breeder but I havent heard of taking a deposit before the dog has even been bred. Good luck in your getting a puppy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We waiting for our puppy too! We put our deposit down last September and the breeder thought the females would be in season any time. They (2 sisters) were bred in December and the pups were born the beginning of February, so we will pick her up the beginning of April. I'm sure your pup will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
it is not uncommon for a girl to go into season late.... or early for that matter. I think you should talk to your breeder about the timing if it is going to be a problem for you.... but the one thing about breeding is that we can't put in orders... what's going to happen is going to happen.... we can make a good guess but thats about it

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your responses. Of course I'm anxious to get ahold of our puppy but I can wait for nature to take its course. I'm just trying to figure out how long it could be before I can expect to have a puppy at home with us. Having never dealt with unspayed females, I just didn't realize there could be such a delay. The breeder did tell us up front that she couldn't promise that the heat wouldn't be delayed. She didn't mention how long it could be delayed but I have no problem with her at all. I'm comfortable with her and I have no inclination to get our deposit back at this point. I know our little guy will be worth the wait.
Slkuta, it sounds like your wait will be over before too long. I guess you went through the long anticipation too. Enjoy your puppy!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Our breeder, who has 20 years experience, was taken by surprise by Tessie's mom.
She came into season such that the litter was born on October 30.
Which made the pups ready to go home on Christmas.
She kept insisting that this wasn't a Christmas litter, but since we waited six months, these were hardly impulse pups.
Good luck with yours.
allen

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update - our breeder volunteered to refund our deposit since the female still hasn't come into season. Next time we'll only make a deposit once the pregnancy has been confirmed. I guess none of us can second guess Mother Nature. Back to the search!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts