Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been working really hard on training with Beckett and he’s coming along swimmingly. Here’s a photo dump of his (least) favorite command, Wait. Can you tell he’s over my antics?
He probably waits so well because he knows if he’s good he’s going to get the jackpot of kibble! We haven’t gotten to kibble on his nose yet, but it is next on the list.

and an early one when he was probably just too tired to move LOL

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
thank you! if Logan has any tips for balancing things on his nose, Beckett and I are all ears!
Oh gosh. I forget how it all comes together. He already had a good sit, wait, and I had done impulse control games with him like you are doing. I taught a chin rest and said "wait' as I slowly brought the treat down to place on the top of his muzzle. Oh, and I used to give him his good morning treat in slow motion coming down toward his nose and moving it back up if he tried to get it. Over time he got used to the motion and learned to wait until I said "okay" just like he waits for his food bowl. Anyway, once I set the treat on top of his nose/muzzle area I would hold up my hand like "stop/stay" and say "wait" and he waits for a release. I'm trying "Get it," but can't get him to catch it in the air yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
He is gorgeous and this made me chuckle. I taught our last golden to sit with a treat on his nose and when I would release him he would flip it up and catch it. I haven't done that with Ragnar yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really good work for such a young guy...he is already on a real good road to being a happy puppy forever!
Thank you! We to training throughout the day, every day—and he loves it because he loves food! His kibble is second only to cooked chicken!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is gorgeous and this made me chuckle. I taught our last golden to sit with a treat on his nose and when I would release him he would flip it up and catch it. I haven't done that with Ragnar yet.
thank you! That is such a fun trick, I am hoping Beckett can learn that once he learns how to sit with it on his nose!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh gosh. I forget how it all comes together. He already had a good sit, wait, and I had done impulse control games with him like you are doing. I taught a chin rest and said "wait' as I slowly brought the treat down to place on the top of his muzzle. Oh, and I used to give him his good morning treat in slow motion coming down toward his nose and moving it back up if he tried to get it. Over time he got used to the motion and learned to wait until I said "okay" just like he waits for his food bowl. Anyway, once I set the treat on top of his nose/muzzle area I would hold up my hand like "stop/stay" and say "wait" and he waits for a release. I'm trying "Get it," but can't get him to catch it in the air yet.
Thank you, Diane! That’s a good idea to start with a chin rest. I found an old picture of him taken the same day as the last picture above and it’s actually on his nose! He was only 10 weeks old so he was probably falling asleep though. He is laying with his head down though so that’s also probably why it’s easier—so we will definitely start there. We’ll be cheering Logan on, I’m sure he will figure out the catch soon!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beckett is a handsome boy and I think he already has better impulse control than me...
Thank you! He’s better than me too-we do a morning treat of blueberries, two each, and I always gobble mine down before I release him from his Wait....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts