Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this? Apparantly my wife just got back from the vet and they did a test for VWD ($150) because they were having a lot of problems trying to get a urine sample. Not exactly sure if I understand but, it had something to do with her developing a blood blister while they were using the needle? She also bruised easily from the last time they did shots?

Man, this sounds so bad, but I'm starting to feel like we got a bad draw from the litter. You go to all the trouble of searching out a reputable breeder, etc, etc, pay a premium price and end up with a rare genetic disease (at least for Goldens).

My wife was the one at the vets, but my understanding is that even if she has VWD things could be pretty "normal". We would just have to be very mindful of cuts?

Anyone have input about this?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I used to work for an ocologist/hematologist, so I am a bit familiar with it in people.
It is a heritary abnormality with the platlets, causing them not to attach to the blood vessel wall and set up a clot properly. It is also common to find other clotting abnormalites accompanying a diagnosis of VWD. VWD has several subclassifications, depending on exactly which of the factors are decreased or missing/undetectable.

As with any medical condition, prevention and control are key to management of the condition. Try to minimize injuries (hard enough with people). In the event of a cut or bruise, early treatment is key. Even annual vaccinations will take some thought. Question every medication you are to give for its anticoagulation properties - for instance sulfa antibiotics and NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) will be off-limits.
Blood transfusions are a standard treatment for bleeding episodes - a quick way to get more VW factor into the body. There is also IV replacement factor for VW factor, but I don't know if it is available for dogs.
I don't know if they use DDAVP nasal sprays on dogs, but it certainly made a huge difference for our human patients. No idea of the cost.

I hope I didn't sound too negative. It is a serious, but managable disease in people and I would assume the same is true for dogs. Vetinary medicine has come a long way in the last 15 years.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm sorry I am not familiar with this, but I sure feel for you.
I can understand you feeling upset after all the effort you put into avoiding problems.:(
I hope it is nothing major or else can be easily handled.
I jsut wanted to express my sympathy.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
And, I would expect the breeder to be willing to refund your pup's purchase price if she has an inherited genetic disease.
It would be worht asking anyway, but I hope this is just a scare and turns out the vet is wrong.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
This is pretty widely known in Dobermans and GSDs so you may want to find a forum for either of those two breeds and ask for advice. I've never heard of a GR with it, so the breeder may be just as blindsided by it as you are. Hope your little gal is okay!

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
It used to be one of the major things we tested for prior to breeding, but there were a lot of issues with the testing and results, plus it was pretty rare, so the testing was dropped.

At least with the testing we did back then, a lot of things could affect the outcome of the test, including thyroid, illness, etc. It was pretty unreliable as a diagnostic aid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still jumping the gun just a bit. The test results won't be back for a week. Does anyone know what a breeder might do in this situation?

Our 'contract' is pretty limited and only addresses hip/eye/heart issues specifically. I imagine we'll simply ask her once the results are in but it would be nice to know what others do in this type of situation.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
It depends on the breeder, really. Tahnee is a breeder, you could also ask Pointgold, Arcane, Ash... there are others too! Someone there may be able to tell you what SHE would do, but it really depends on your breeder. I would certainly let your breed know so she can make informed choices regarding breeding the same two dogs again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! The test came back negative. Haven't had a chance to talk with my wife about what the vet said, but she did leave a message at my work saying she was in the clear.

We are very relieved. Now, to figure out why the vet wanted to do the test.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I know in humans getting a positive blood test result can take several tries. You may want to ask the vet if this is the case for dogs, too. Both of my children have vWD and they live a typical life with some precautions. I would seek the opinion of a vet hematologist just to make sure. The scary thing if your dog has to go through surgery they will need to be prepped accordingly.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They did mention that before any surgical procedure additional testing would be needed because she does seem to have clotting issues. Apparantly there are a couple other things that could cause this problem, although it sounds like they might not be as severe?

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im glad to hear that the test came back negative!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts