Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our 6mth old male GR went in for the ol’ chop-chop last week (desexed).

All seems to have gone well, and so yesterday we started letting him outside once again. Unfortunately we have a few trees flowering at the moment and it appears that yesterday he may have been stung by a wasp/bee as his cheeks started puffing up a bit.

We took him to the vet for an anti-histamine and the swelling went down quickly (within the hour). All seemed fine and as part of dinner last night we gave him some chopped up pineapple that was leftover from our home made pizzas, combined with his normal dog food.

This morning he went for his walk as normal, and seemed his usual, bouncy self. When we got home I feed him breakfast (high quality dog food), and as a treat I gave him a bone. Usually he sits for an hour or so and eats the bone/bone marrow. Today he immediately took it to the garden and buried it . . . very odd.

About half an hour later I had noticed that he had thrown up all of his breaky, and it appears some of his dinner. There was pineapple in the vomit . . .

Now from a behavioural ponit of view he is normal – running for a ball, happy to see me/my wife and coming when called. But he is refusing any/all food. We have left him indoors today with a heap of fresh water.

Any ideas on what might have happen? Could he be allergic to pineapple, or it is more likely to be a side affect of the sting/anti histamine yesterday? Any advice would be very welcome. At this stage I am planning on letting his body settle down and hopefully he will eat dinner normally tonight.

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He didn't eat any of the flowers from your flowering tree, did he? Hopefully it is just due to an upset stomach.
Nah, no chance. It is a wattle tree and the flowers are well out of his reach (higher than 10ft). I hope it is just a tummy upset . . . he has never rejected food before!

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
...This morning he went for his walk as normal, and seemed his usual, bouncy self. When we got home I feed him breakfast (high quality dog food)....
About half an hour later I had noticed that he had thrown up all of his breaky, and it appears some of his dinner. There was pineapple in the vomit...
Did you feed him right after you got back from the walk (as you stated above)? Did he gulp lots of water before or after the walk? When feeding, you should ALWAYS feed at least 1 hour before exercise & wait to feed at least 1 hour after exercise. It sounds as though you have fed him too close to the time you exercised, so as a result, his stomach wasn't settled enough to be able to digest the food. Just a thought off the top of my head...

On side note, pineapple contains a lot of sugar.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope he is feeling better. It could have been several things from a side effect of the anti-histamine or the eating right after walking. If he isnt feeling better in the morning, I think I would get him back to the vet just to make sure he is ok.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys- more help required!

The poor pup got stung by another wasp yesterday and his nose started puffing up again (wasps are a major issue at the moment!). We went down the vet and they recommended palaramine as an anti-histamine. We game his a lower than recommended dosage of 2mg, twice (6hr interval).

This morning he has thown up again in his room :(

Is it possible that he is allergic to anti-histamine?? In working through the timeline, he has thrown up approx 20hrs after receiving the medication both times. It is the only logical explaination that I can think of. The vomit consisted of what looked like his dinner + grass, so maybe he was trying to make himself sick?

There was no extensive exercise follwed by eating this time round. He ate over an hour before his evening walk (about 6pm), and we checked on him at 10pm and he had not been sick. So he has become ill between 10pm and 5am when I went to give him his breakfast this morning.

Any advice/past experience would be very welcome!

Thanks
Wayne

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Wasps

Your pup could be having an allergic reaction to the WASP STINGS.
I Would get him to the vet or call an emergency vet for advice immediately!!!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope he is doing better. You might ask your vet about a epi pen. (spelling)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with Deb. Having an epi pen could be vital for the future. Please discuss with your vet or the emergency vet.
Hi all,

I appreciate all of your responses.

In both cases when he has been stung, only his lips have swollen, and even then they are not ballooning. The swelling has never progressed past that to his throat etc. and the vet was not concerned when I took him down. We found a huge wasps next next to a small shrub he brushes past. Needless to say the lucky few wasps that survived will be finding a new home ;)

As for the puppy, he has thrown up once more about 3hrs ago. He is still relatively lively, and we are obviously keeping a close eye on him. I did phone the vet this morning and they indicated that it COULD be a stomach ulcer, but I doubt it for such a young puppy with no other medications etc. Looks to me to be something that is brought on by either the antihistamines or the actual wasp sting. Either way, it takes about 20-24hrs before the vomitting starts, which is odd!

What do guys recommend for a sick puppy? I have always been told to starve a vomitting dog for about 24hrs and then slowly re-introduce them to food (1/2 serve etc).

If he throws up any more, or becomes lethargic then we will take him to the emergency vet.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with the starving and then feeding with bland boiled chicken and rice or hamburger and rice. And small meals. If he holds it down feed him alittle more several hours later. Hopefully with the wasps getting rehomed he wont have that problem anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts