Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all~
my goldie,CoCo, is 5 months old.. and there's something that always worries me.

She has been driven a total of 4 times. once from the farm back to home and there was no problem.

the last 3 times within 2 months, she always vomit.

CoCo always sit at the front seat with my girlfriend holding on to her.

can i get some advice to cure this?

would feeding a significantly lesser amount the meal before help?

677 Posts
Well, this brings back memories. Casey's adventures with car sickness started when we brought him home from the breeders and lasted almost a year to the day...and it happened every single time he got into the car, regardless of the distance...and we cottage, so he had a 4 hr. round trip ride every summer weekend! Once, when coming back from the cottage he threw up before we even put him in the car--he just looked at it and threw up! We tried fasting him before travelling (at least there was less to clean up), the meds from the vet (no significant difference) and benedryl, which was the most effective. Also, he was usually much worse up front in the car. We have a Honda CRV, and he prefers the cargo area at the back--it is large and flat. Anyway, by the time he was a year, he had outgrown the car sickness. He is now a very happy traveler, which is good because we are on the road a lot. I still avoid feeding him within two hours of leaving if we are driving a long distance. Good luck...most do outgrow it, but I know it is not pleasant while it lasts. (for a while my car was equipped with paper towels, lysol spray, garbage bags etc.)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
First have her associate the car with good things. Maybe sit with her in the parked ( cool ) car and let her have a chewie. Go for a short ride to a fun place.. Have her tummy empty ( 2 hours since food ) and a Dramamine 1/2 hr before the ride.

As you go farther and farther.. have her in the backseat so she can not see outside. Have someone watch for the first signs of sickness ( drooling ).. stop the car and let her walk around on leash to get her land legs..

This is how we got Penny thorugh this difficult time. In her case she outgrew it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If I am going on a trip I never feed the morning of. You may also want to try getting your dog used to it by short trips at first. Perhaps to the end of the road and back and gradually extending the length.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dog also started his car sickness on the ride home from the breeder's. I did a lot of what was suggested here - especially taking him on a lot of shorter rides so he didn't feel like the only time he went in the car was for long periods of time. I also found that if he feels air blowing on him he is calmer. He's going on 6 months now and hasn't gotten sick anymore.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dog also started his car sickness on the ride home from the breeder's. I did a lot of what was suggested here - especially taking him on a lot of shorter rides so he didn't feel like the only time he went in the car was for long periods of time. I also found that if he feels air blowing on him he is calmer. He's going on 6 months now and hasn't gotten sick anymore.
sounds good jess- abt the air blowing bit.

i've tried what was suggested. putting at the back seat and also fed lesser the meal before.

it finally works!!! but will have to try a few more times to conclude that my dog has conquered the motion sickness. thanks alot guys. appreciate your input.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Rummy does this as well. My breeder told me to give him Gravol as did his Vet. Works really well. Without it he vomits profusely - projectile severe vomiting and it gets everywhere, not to mention when he pukes he looks so so miserable, my poor baby. He does still get runny poo with car rides and you can tell he is feeling off, but zero puking.

Give one Gravol 20 minutes before a car trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.