Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys I was wondering if any of you ever experience this. Sometimes when we get home from being gone Buzz gets really excited and drinks a ton of water and then proceeds to vomit all the water back up. He only does this when he gets real excited so I am working on getting him to be calmer when he first sees us.
Also do any of you restrict water at night? Buzz usually sleeps all night and never needs to go outside but the other night he woke us up at 3 am needing to go potty something he has never done that before and I think he was up drinking alot of water that night ( we were bad and gave him some ham so the salt made him thirsty ) Anyway just wondering. I will probably feel guilty restricting him since he normaly does well and every now and then I too have to wake up at night for a glass of water and a trip to the potty:)

·
Registered
655 Posts
When Buzz first sees you and is all excited, try giving him only a little water so he doesn't drink tons to throw back up...and it probably was the salty ham that did it :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
He guys I was wondering if any of you ever experience this. Sometimes when we get home from being gone Buzz gets really excited and drinks a ton of water and then proceeds to vomit all the water back up. He only does this when he gets real excited so I am working on getting him to be calmer when he first sees us.
Buzz's behavior is normal. At least, this is what I've seen from every retriever that has lived with us. The young ones will drink till it's gone, even if they have to consume a half-gallon, it seems! And then, it's the old take-three-steps-and Bleeeccch routine. :yuck:

Dottie still does this, and she is seven years old. For example, when I work from home all day, Dottie will barely drink anything, even though I encourage her, but then when Karen gets home, Dottie will go and drink the entire bowl dry if we aren't paying attention. But we pay attention, because when she drains the bowl, there's a 75 percent chance that she'll take three steps and blast the water all over the carpet! :doh:

Note: The 75 percent figure is totally unscientific! :D

So, we watch Dottie and encourage her to leave some water for later. Often, all she needs is a word from Karen or me. She needs to just snap out of the obsessive drinking. So do I, but that is another story. :D

As time passes, you'll get on a routine with Buzz. You'll learn how much water he needs versus how much he will drink obsessively or at times of excitement. Maybe the next time he's doing that, you can say something like "Hey Buzz! save some for later, buddy!" It's one of those things where you want to be careful not to scold him for drinking water, because then he'll start thinking that he's not supposed to drink.

But it's possible to gently get his attention without making him feel like he is doing something wrong. For example, when you manage to distract him from the excited drinking, you can give him some good petting and engage in some play, or maybe offer him a favorite chew toy. And then just sit there on the floor with him for a few minutes.

I wouldn't worry about restricting his water, since he is a full-grown dog. Just keep an eye on how much he is drinking during the few hours before bedtime. Of course, if Buzz is insisting on drinking everything that you make available, I'd wonder if there is a physical reason for his behavior. But it sounds like he is being a normal Golden. :)

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Try giving him ice cubes rather than water when he is really excited. Most dogs love them, and that way they have to work to get their water rather than just gulp it down.
The vet told me the same thing about one of my fosters that drank like he had OCD for water--

Good idea!

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Be careful with the ice cubes -- they can be fun toys and be scattered all over the house!

Brandy was the ultimate compulsive water drinker, to the point where we had her tested for just about every disease that listed excessive water consumption as a symptom.

What worked for us was to no longer fill her bowl with water -- I just give her small amounts at a time. I also restrict water after 7 p.m., just as people suggest for puppies.

She's gradually learned to leave water in her bowl.

Also, I notice that Brandy will sometimes gulp water when she's bored. So distracting Buzz may help.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There can be one drawback with the ice cubes. But I've only seen this happen with one dog. For Dottie, extra-cold water or ice cubes will induce immediate gagging. It's a bummer, because she LOVES to eat ice cubes, and this is a great idea for helping a dog get past the OCD drinking.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There can be one drawback with the ice cubes. But I've only seen this happen with one dog. For Dottie, extra-cold water or ice cubes will induce immediate gagging. It's a bummer, because she LOVES to eat ice cubes, and this is a great idea for helping a dog get past the OCD drinking.
Every dog is different. Always helps to try a few different ideas till you find exactly what works best for you and your dogs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts