Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Jake is 8 months old. Monday, January 4th, morning after returning from a 2 week stay in VA, Jake suddenly had a HUGE nose. I could sit and watch it swell. I figured allergic reaction, gave him benedryl and the swelling went away. No clue as to what caused it.

Later that night, around 2 am, he puked. There wasn't anything in it, and it didn't seem to be a big deal; just some semi frothy bile. I put him outside and watching him for a little bit and he seemed fine. It happened again the next two nights at the same time. Same thing, just frothy bile. Again, didn't think much of it, but it was annoying. With held food for 24 hours, made sure he had access to plenty of water.

He stopped drinking as much as he normally does (he usually drinks close to a gallon a day). He hasn't seemed to feel bad and runs like crazy all over the place. He eats like he's starving.

Well, it has gotten progressively worse. He has gone from throwing up just bile to having some solid to, this morning, throwing up his chicken and rice. He is no longer able to find a comfortable spot for any length of time. When he is about to barf, he drools and is able to get my attention before he starts heaving.

I have tried pepto and pumpkin. I do the skin test to make sure that he is not dehydrated. I've also checked gums and eyes and they are normal. His temp is also normal.

I have no idea what is going on. I do not have a vet that I can call because my old vet is tending to her patients at the Rainbow Bridge. The last vet I went to wanted to charge me $125 for a single vaccine that is normally a part of the 7 in 1. When I refused, she looked at me as though I was mistreating my dog. I know she can't be trusted. (not only that, but her schedule is wide open all the time). There are no other vets in a 60 mile radius of me. Most of the people out here do their own medical work. I'm comfortable doing that on goats, but I'm not nearly as skilled with dogs. Not only that, but I know Jake doesn't need to be milked, have mastitis, or need a kid manually turned in utero. ::sigh::

Any ideas? I'm starting to worry about a partial blockage becoming a full blown blockage at this point.

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is also shaking his head a lot as well. I forgot to mention that he has eaten a great deal of deer poop at my parents house too. Could this be worms?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
intermittent vomiting for a week that is getting progressively worse, needs more then home medicine. You could be looking at bloat, a blockage, or a very nasty virus...either way, it looks like your dont have much choice -- a vet you dont like or a 60 mile drive to one you do... and FAST :-(

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning after posting, I went outside and looked for his poop. It is normal. He is acting normal and even VERY hungry. I have called a friend who has a good vet who is an hour and a half away. I am also calling my parents who have a good vet in VA. If they are willing to meet me half way this afternoon, I will take him to GSO and send him home with them. I don't know what else to do. I'm exhausted. He seems right as rain this morning.

Oh, he doesn't have any stomache pain when touched or even prodded. He begs, as usual for his belly to be rubbed. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I would have him checked just to rule anything out. He could have been bit by a spider or something - allergic reactions can be serious.

Is he drinking water? is he eating fine today?

Either way this guy should get a once over - he is too little not to have it checked. Let us know how he is doing.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Looks like a road trip is in order. Any fun things near the vet that is 60 miles away? Perhaps you can make it into a fun day!! You really need to get him to a good vet. The right as rain isn't nearly enough as you've said he seems fine and then he's puking like crazy. I know my Max never had that problem so it's not a common growing up thing.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Please get him to the Vet. He may be blocked and is only eliminating what's in front of the blockage. I'm a bit concerned that he may have gotten into something toxic too. Nose swelling from coming into contact with something and vomiting that's progressively worse. He's not drinking normally which is a huge concern and is now very uncomfortable.

I hope you make good time meeting up with your parents and get him seen quickly. Have you let the Vet know you're on your way and what his symptoms are?

Good luck!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope your Jake is better and you can get him into a vet. Sounds like somewhat of what I am dealing with. Give him a big kiss.

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took Jake to the vet. Pancreatitis with a low platelet level. He was given something for vomiting and some doxy for the platelets.

Keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't decide the w/d is as disgusting as it looks and smells ::sigh:: no more scraps for the da Jake.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
My older guy has had pancreatitis twice in the last three years. His must have been much more advanced than jake's since both times it required 3 - 5 days of hospital stay on IVs only. Of course, copper is a senior so that could have a lot to do with it.

My old guy is now on W/D and he seems to like it quite well. The last bout of pancreatitis was caused by my changing his dog food to a more respected brand than what I was using. It had more fat and a different protein base than he was used to and caused the pancreatitis so please be very careful if you do decide to stop using W/D. It does look and read like Cr%p, but it has served copper well for 5 months.
I hope Jake has a quick recovery.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Liz

Liz

I'm with everyone else your baby needs to see a vet.

Hope you can go to the other one you mentioned.

I'm also worried he might have gotten into or come in contact with something toxic when you were in VA.

P.S. There are members on here from your area I'm sure and I'm sure they could recommend a vet hopefully closer than the ones you've mentioned.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Glad Jake has seen the Vet and is on the right track! Rest Little Man! :)

Da Jakee, Da Jakee, I hoope u r peelen better nowz dat u habe da rite medicene. Goo takie da nappie n dreem sweet dreemz. I l c u tomorzo, K? --U R Frieend, Da Tailer Dawg

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Dis ib Tailer...Howz r u da Jakie? R u feelering da better todai? Dew u wanna kome n plway in da sno wiff da me? I kan meeter u bi da tunnel, K?

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone :)

Jake is here at work with me. I'm sorry I have not posted an update. He is much better and is acting like his normal self today. He was put on that horrid w/d perscription stuff and is back on his regular food with regular amounts. We go in for a check up today just to make sure that the worst is over.

Poor thing... we have cooked bacon twice since he got sick and he just stands next to me while I'm cooking it and makes the grumble sound that almost sounds like my son who runs around saying NOT FAIR!!! all the time LOL

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dis iz da jaykee

fank u bout dis taylor... i will meet u inda tunneral soon. i hav a nu n importunt job. i hassa keep da momee from fawdin da fweepee atta da teesher werk day. dis iz bewee portant behabior. i hassa pullz honda her pantz n den barkee atta herz n den... n den... gib her da luk wen she goed n getter da peetsa n nod bwing me enee. dat iz da bad behabior. i fink dis.

i comin ur hows in bout da 22. we don hab da snoe heer bud we habda winderz n da sky wapter... hee hee. i lub da rain.

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It hurts far less to not give in than it does to see him sick :) His groaning complaints are just so funny, especially when closely followed by a ducked head and the slow "look how pitiful I am" walk toward the other side of the room, looking back only once. LOL

Thank you :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts