Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Thanks for explaining. I sure understand anxiety issues. Gunner has them too.

Please don't feel too bad. Vito is probably relieved not to have to leave you and be a guide dog. : )

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
If he would not be happy as a guide dog, then you should be happy that he will be a happy pet. At least you know you and Vito tried.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I admire you for your effort. I can't believe how selfless you are to even attempt this. I'd never be able to part with a dog after that much work. Hopefully you'll be able to keep him now.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am sorry that Vito was dropped from the program but glad that you may get to keep him. He is such a wonderful dog there are other roles he has to play in his life like being your pet or a therapy dog with you. We all love him here to and would really miss him if he left us.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I'm sorry for yours and his disappointment~but perhaps you summed it all up yourself when you said he was your heart dog~and we all know that our caretaker wants us to have that bond. Bless you for all the work and devotion you both showed~now it will be with each other that you enjoy life.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I'm so sorry!! I know you put a lot of work into his training.

I want you to know I always hoped you would be able to keep Vito because you seemed so connected to him and he to you. :crossfing

He sounds like such a sweet and wonderful dog and I hope you are able to work things out for him to stay.

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
I admire you for your effort. I can't believe how selfless you are to even attempt this. I'd never be able to part with a dog after that much work. Hopefully you'll be able to keep him now.
Nicole
I too share the feeling of how stressful, although rewarding it would be for you and Vito to have had success in the program. So many pieces of the puzzle have to fit for a dog to go on to second sight careers. I could never give up my dog even for the fact that he would be helping others. I guess that's my motivation to allow my dog help others while still having him be my dog. The work that you have done with Vito and the bonds that have been made are very special bonds, I hope your Dad can understand this and allow you to make arrangements to keep Vito where he should be, in your love and care.
Think positive.
Harley and Jerry

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Nicole, I am sorry that Vito did not make it into the program, but perhaps it was not meant to be. Maybe you and he were meant to be together! I sure hope your Dad gives you two the opportunity to stay together! Plese let us know when a decision is made.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts