Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Vito has hypothyroidism

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  nixietink 
#1 ·
So thanks to everyone here I tested Vito's thyroid and he is hypothyroid. This is all brand new to me, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Here are his results form Dr. Dodds:

T4: 1.11
Free T4: .82
T3: 10 (which was verified via repeated analysis)
Free T3: 1.8
Thyroglobulin Autoantibody: Negative

Here is what she had to say:
Thyroid levels are too low here, and support the clinical signs. TgAA is normal, so thyroiditis is not the reason for the hypothyroidism.The very low T3 reflects concurrent non-thyroidal issues. The Nzymes program for yeast may help, along with grain-free food [no wheat, corn or soy].

So I am a little worried about his T3...it is VERY low. If I'm reading the e-mail right, it is supposed to be in the 40-70 range? What can cause such a low T3 level?? He is currently eating a grain free food.

Also, can I expect any behavioral changes when he goes on his meds? He has to take 0.1mg per 12 - 15 lbs. Is this a normal dosage?

Poor Vito. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Gosh I dont know anything about this...I am so sorry that Vito is going through this Nicloe, I hope things turn out ok...what made you decide to get him checked??

#4 ·
No advice, just lots of healing thoughts and good wishes!

#5 ·
the aussie I sit for takes thyroid meds & has VERY specific instructions with them.

must be taken 12 hours apart, 2 hours before or after food, & not taken with protein.

I'm not sure if that is for all thyroid conditions or just his specifically; may be good to find out.

glad you found out the problem, hope it makes that handsome dude feel better soon!

#6 ·
Nicole, did Dr. Dodds give you "normal ranges" for the values? I'm just curious what she considers normal for goldens, since I know her values don't necessarily agree with the traditional laboratory values and I'd like to see how they compare to my Toby's values.
Thanks!

So thanks to everyone here I tested Vito's thyroid and he is hypothyroid. This is all brand new to me, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Here are his results form Dr. Dodds:

T4: 1.11
Free T4: .82
T3: 10 (which was verified via repeated analysis)
Free T3: 1.8
Thyroglobulin Autoantibody: Negative

Here is what she had to say:
Thyroid levels are too low here, and support the clinical signs. TgAA is normal, so thyroiditis is not the reason for the hypothyroidism.The very low T3 reflects concurrent non-thyroidal issues. The Nzymes program for yeast may help, along with grain-free food [no wheat, corn or soy].

So I am a little worried about his T3...it is VERY low. If I'm reading the e-mail right, it is supposed to be in the 40-70 range? What can cause such a low T3 level?? He is currently eating a grain free food.

Also, can I expect any behavioral changes when he goes on his meds? He has to take 0.1mg per 12 - 15 lbs. Is this a normal dosage?

Poor Vito. :(

#8 ·
I am sure he will be fine, both my Jasmine and Jasper are on soloxine. Jasmine is on .8 once a day and Jasper is on .5 twice a day. They both have thrived on it. Yes the ears are a huge sign to me! Both Jasmine and Jasper had nasty yeasty ears for a long time before they were diagnosed.

#9 ·
Brady is on soloxine also, 0.6mg twice a day. His ears and eyes and energy level are so much better now! The medication is most effective if given every 12 hours and given on an empty stomach. We give Brady his at 5:30am & pm and feed him breakfast and supper 1 hour or a little more after the pills. You'll be amazed at the improvements you see, especially the ears!!!

#10 ·
Your results are very similar to Conner's, and her comments are the same almost word for word (except the yeast and food part). Conner is on .5 mg soloxine.

#12 ·
I just picked up Vito's meds and he is also on .5 mg of soloxine. Conner had very low T3 levels too?

T3 is the "active" form of the thyroid hormone. In canines about half is produced by the thyroid gland and the other half by other body tissues. Because only the T3 is low, and everything else is okay, the assessment for Vito is that his hypothyroidism is not because of an immune mediated destruction of, or atrophy of the thyroid gland itself (non-thyroidal). That's GOOD. You will see an overall improvement in his skin and coat, and he may seem 'happier" and more playful when supplemented.
Ah, thank you SO MUCH Laura! You really eased my mind.

Any other behavioral changes I should look out for?

#11 ·
T3 is the "active" form of the thyroid hormone. In canines about half is produced by the thyroid gland and the other half by other body tissues. Because only the T3 is low, and everything else is okay, the assessment for Vito is that his hypothyroidism is not because of an immune mediated destruction of, or atrophy of the thyroid gland itself (non-thyroidal). That's GOOD. You will see an overall improvement in his skin and coat, and he may seem 'happier" and more playful when supplemented.

#17 ·
You will see big changes in Vito, I promise!

About three years ago I noticed Murphy's energy level had really dropped. He and Sampson used to always play heartily and he did not seem to want to play as much. His coat was thinning as well. I felt bad for Sampson who tried constantly to engage him in their usual play. I knew something was wrong.

Blood tests confirmed hypothyroidism. He has been on Soloxine for a few years and he is doing wonderfully well. You will have to have his blood levels checked every 6 months. Murphy started out on .08 Soloxine twice daily. About ayear later the vet lowered him to .07 twice a day. I give his in a small piece of bread.

The best part.....Sammy got his playmate back! It did not take long. Murphy was back, we were so excited. He is a happy healthy dog today. His thick coat took about 6 months to return. He looks terrific! :)

#19 ·
My vet suggested to put Vito on benadryl daily. This was pre finding out he was hypothyroid.

Should I wait to see if his symptoms improve on the soloxine before starting him on Benadryl?
I still keep Rusty on Benadryl on a daily basis even with his soloxine. Remember, unfortunately you're living in the allergy capital of the United States now. More airborne allergins in the Sacramento Valley then any other place. Sacramento has more trees then any other US city per size and then with all the agriculture around us the allergins are thick.

You will notice a difference in Vito's energy level, his coat, and his playfulness. Rusty is like a 2 yr old pup now.

PS - You can get the Costco brand benedryl for $3.49 per 400 bottle I think. About 1/4 the cost of name brand benedryl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.