Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Piper gets a monthly Pupbox, which is like Barkbox, but for puppies, and in her Box-O-Stuff this month there was a package of Pet Naturals Daily Multivitamins for dogs. They are apparently formulated for dogs of all sizes. Not fish oils, or omega 3s, just straight up vitamins.

It seems a little gimmicky and unnecessary to me, because she should be getting all necessary vitamins and minerals from her dog food, and I'm not sure I would want her to be getting any additional calcium anyway, but I was just curious. How many of you give your goldens vitamins?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
So Piper gets a monthly Pupbox, which is like Barkbox, but for puppies, and in her Box-O-Stuff this month there was a package of Pet Naturals Daily Multivitamins for dogs. They are apparently formulated for dogs of all sizes. Not fish oils, or omega 3s, just straight up vitamins.

It seems a little gimmicky and unnecessary to me, because she should be getting all necessary vitamins and minerals from her dog food, and I'm not sure I would want her to be getting any additional calcium anyway, but I was just curious. How many of you give your goldens vitamins?

NuVet vitamins were part of my contract when I bought my pups. I kept up with them for over a year with one and just a couple months with the other. I came to the same conclusion as you.

We had a morning vitamin ritual and they really liked them but got too pricy. Do I think they were beneficial? No way to really know. I think they were getting what they needed from their large breed puppy food in that early year plus. There were no actual studies done that scientifically proved they were good so I think it's a matter of how you feel about vitamin supplements in general. I personally don't take any with the exception of C if I feel a cold coming on:)

Doubt they would do any harm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Pupbox sounds fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
My golden has been on supplements since the beginning. From 8 weeks to 6 months, I used DogZymes Cran-Tri-C (basically vitamin c) and DogZymes Digestive Enhancer, these were continuations of what the pup was getting while with the breeder. At 6 months (or 9, I forget), we switched to DogZymes Complete which is basically a hopped up multivitamin, digestive probiotic, joint supplement. It's a added cost, but I honestly don't feel like it's very much money in the grand scheme of things.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
I would suggest that it depends on what one is feeding.

Not all kibble is created equal, nor are many home cooked or raw diets relative being completely nutritionally balanced.

I originally fed Orijen and included a multi purpose vitamin plus a good Omega 3, however I now feed Brisby a mix of home cooked and raw ( completely balanced). I add Dr Peter Dobias supplements daily as recommended by our vet.

GreenMin for Dogs - all natural mineral supplement

SoulFood - certified organic multivitamin for Dogs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts