Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch this news feature:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/study-vitamin-d-kills-cancer-cells/story?id=9904415

Wow, I hope they find Vitamin D does kill cancer cells for humans and pets. I just did a quick Dr. Google search on Vitamin D sources (in addition to dry dog food) for dogs and this is from ehow.com:

Vitamin D Basics
Vitamin D is a member of the fat-soluble class of vitamins, meaning that it is stored in the liver and fatty tissues of the body. The recommended minimum daily dose is 227 IU per pound of consumed dry dog food. This can be obtained through exposure to sunshine (converted into Vitamin D in the upper layers of the skin) and consumption of dairy products and fish liver oil and, of course, a good commercial dog food.
Vitamin D regulates the calcium:phosphorous balance in the body. It stimulates kidney retention of calcium and is vitally important to bone formation and nerve and muscle control.

It goes on to say too much can lead to toxicity.

I give my dogs 1800 to 2000 Omega 3s but I'm not sure it is the same as "fish liver oil" like cod liver oil. There is nothing on the label that indicates they are receiving extra Vitamin D. I need to check their kibble as well.

As soon as it warms up I'm going to encourage him to go sun himself for a few minutes each day too to get some vitamin D.

While no research exists on Vitamin D stopping cancer cell growth in dogs, I still want to make sure Barkley is getting a sufficient amount.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Don't know about fish body oil (like we use) providing vitamin D. I have been supplementing me with 1000 mg of D-3 daily for quite some time. ( Evidently, D-3 is more absorbable than D-2). Sure hope it does turn out to be advantageous for pets too. I think you are wise getting it from the sun naturally for the puppers. Going to read now about which foods are D containing.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
From what I've read, here are foods containing vit D: Shitake mushrooms, herring, sardines, catfish, tuna, Sockeye salmon, eggs. Sunlight (where oh where are you Mr Sun?) still sounds like the best idea to me.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh how I wish the sun would shine again here!

Our acupuncture vet (the holistic one) said holistic vets have been using Vitamin D injections for years on cancer dogs.

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Don't know about fish body oil (like we use) providing vitamin D. I have been supplementing me with 1000 mg of D-3 daily for quite some time. ( Evidently, D-3 is more absorbable than D-2). Sure hope it does turn out to be advantageous for pets too. I think you are wise getting it from the sun naturally for the puppers. Going to read now about which foods are D containing.
Do you mean 1000 iu or 1000 mg for your vitamin D3 dosing?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,423 Posts
Omega 3's had a point of diminishing returns. It starts I believe at 750mg and anything above 2000mg is generally pointless as there body can't absorb it fast enough to utilize that much extra Omega 3.

1000mg of Omega 3 may even not be worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts